Steely Dan - Josie (live TV 1995)

Matus

Re: Steely Dan - Josie (live TV 1995)

Postby Matus » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:43 am

Which happen to be the composers and basically Steely Dan... A legend in hell - like studio experience, but it sure paid off.
I don't remember who it was, but I recall reading a story about them having a full band of A list musicians in the studio repeating take after take to get a real good one, without them knowing those were going to be basic reference tracks.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:44 am

Gaddabout wrote:FWIW, that live version of Josie feels about 6 to 8 BPMs too fast. That's not a song that I think works at that tempo. There's a needed breath in the rhythm guitar riff on verse between 1 and 2 every bar. That riff is the hook. You can't mess with the hook.

But I'm just being nitpicky because I cut my teeth on the Dan studio albums which are blissful perfection.

To me the tempo is almost the same than the studio version played by Jim Keltner, and I think that Peter is playing with a click track.

My favorite version is played by Dennis, his groove is fat, and THERE I can hear the Rythm'n Blues.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:49 am

I saw SD right about this time w/ Erskoman in Saratoga, NY w/ Elivis Costello (both superb).

Do the headphones likely mean Peter is playing to a click?

I remember Peter right here on this forum saying that if he even started the tempo of a tune a beat or 2 a minute different Fagen would pick up on it and actually asked him not to do that! He was speaking to their keen sense of time/musicianship.
Dream gig for sure and what a great job. I still play to SD w/ the headphones regularly...can go for hours w/ all there tunes.

Peter sure has been scarce 'round here these days.
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Rene

Postby Rene » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:57 am

In my search for the Dennis Chambers version, I found this one. Great groove, but the solo ..
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:02 am

I believe Wayne Krantz toured with the Dan as well. In fact, that's him in the video ^^^

On Wayne's site, he has a Rhythm lesson that I bought. I really wanted to know where he was coming from when he plays. One of the things that was an impetus for his style was touring with Steely Dan, imo. He said that he really didn't appreciate playing right in the center of the beat until he toured with STeely Dan.

and I don't believe that's Dennis in the above video either. I forget who it is. He played on Fagan's Kamikiriad I think.
Rene

Postby Rene » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:45 am

It was Ricky Lawson ...
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:27 pm

Rene like Rene Creemer ?
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Rene

Postby Rene » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:12 am

René Creemers? Sorry, whish I was. From a drumming point of view, of course. Me more handsome :D

Return to “Drumming Chat”