Jack DeJohnette

langmick

Jack DeJohnette

Postby langmick » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:55 am

Didn't find a topic, and found a cool performance. How he plays so musically is a joy to listen to, the cerebral interaction with the other players as well, he gives a clinic.

AllenS

Re: Jack DeJohnette

Postby AllenS » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:04 pm

Definitely a master.

Thanks for the thread!
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:45 am

I'm not wild about Jack's playing or phrasing, but I absolutely love the sound he gets from the drums.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:19 pm

gretsch-o-rama wrote:I'm not wild about Jack's playing or phrasing, but I absolutely love the sound he gets from the drums.

Check out his playing (and writing) on this record. It may just convert you to a fan.
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:38 pm

This one too, with Will Calhoun. It's heavy loud rocking music.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Jack is an integral part of one of my favorite atmospheric ECM offerings: http://www.amazon.com/Rypdal-Vitous-DeJohnette/dp/B001CSQIR8/ref=pd_rhf_pe_p_img_1

langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:19 pm

I was at the tour off Parallel Realities in Pittsburgh, 4th row. Jack came out and played a solo, starting with the bass drum. He them brought in so many consecutive textures, everything continually moving and washing. Herbie, Dave and Pat then joined him, lifting the music higher and higher.

I have never been at a show with the same amount of dynamics and intensity. It was one of those things that reaches in your head and heart. Blew my mind. These guys who play without dynamics, I don't get it, the secret to performing live music is dynamics.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:16 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
gretsch-o-rama wrote:I'm not wild about Jack's playing or phrasing, but I absolutely love the sound he gets from the drums.

Check out his playing (and writing) on this record. It may just convert you to a fan.

I do have the DVD of this tour, it's absolutely excellent and one of the first "drum" DVD's I bought. Although there are some questionable shirt choices. I did read some interesting stuff about that tour and before that tour...Apparently from what I read, it sounded like the music was struggling in the rehearsals before this tour, almost like it was going to fall apart. Jack is maybe the best jazz drummer in the world today, but he tends to do what I call "volleying" too much. He puts forth so much rhythm into the music, it's almost too much to my ears. His playing is very stream of consciousness, and I think in that scenario, it is possible to play to much. Meh.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
geoffgilldrums

Postby geoffgilldrums » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:47 am

langmick wrote:I was at the tour off Parallel Realities in Pittsburgh, 4th row. Jack came out and played a solo, starting with the bass drum. He them brought in so many consecutive textures, everything continually moving and washing. Herbie, Dave and Pat then joined him, lifting the music higher and higher.

I have never been at a show with the same amount of dynamics and intensity. It was one of those things that reaches in your head and heart. Blew my mind. These guys who play without dynamics, I don't get it, the secret to performing live music is dynamics.

awesome story. Parallel Realities is one of my fav albums of all time, the tour must have been nuts. something about the Jack, Metheny, Herbie trio that is so badass. i still jam to this album from time to time. so much fun to play over w/ "ecm" ideas & gHoofin', especially "jack In" and "nine over reggae" (such a beautiful, intense tune !!): http://grooveshark.com/#!/playlist/Jack ... e/98132334
Atlanta drummer. If it grooves, I dig it !
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:21 am

The star to me was Dave Holland. He had such a clear tone and played perfectly the entire night. It was unbelievable.

Return to “Drumming Chat”