Thomas Lang - Full Lesson in Drumeo

Juan Expósito

Thomas Lang - Full Lesson in Drumeo

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue May 19, 2015 11:47 am

Here Thomas is tight as ever and I´ve enjoyed a lot the video.
These series of Drumeo FULL LESSONS with great proffesionals drummers are very cool:

Last edited by Juan Expósito on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greg Moore

Re: Thomas Lang - Full Lesson in Drumeo

Postby Greg Moore » Wed May 20, 2015 9:02 pm

Earlier this week they had Benny Greb in the studio, and May 29th it's going to be that wallflower himself, Bernard Purdie :) . Kinda unbelievable how many big names they've had in lately.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu May 21, 2015 12:29 am

Greg Moore wrote:Kinda unbelievable how many big names they've had in lately.

With fewer and fewer sources of income, these guys have no choice but to play ball. The money's probably good, and it helps spread the word through social merde.

That Lang video lesson was nice. So was Antonio. And John Blackwell.
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Thu May 21, 2015 10:30 am

Watched about 20 minutes of the Thomas Lang lesson, thought it was really good. You damn kids these days have it so easy. Used to have to shell out 50 bucks for DCI vids of Gadd & Weckl, cutting neighbors lawns all summer to save up. Now those vids and apparently everything else is instantly accessible on the "phone" in your pocket. Maybe that's why I only watched the first 20 minutes of that Lang lesson. I didn't pay for it, so it's not valuable to me. I literally wore out the first Weckl tape, must have watched it several hundred times. Or, maybe I only watched the first 20 minutes because I'm an adult now and don't have the free time to spend obsessing over drum videos. Oh, well. Screw you kids! And if your ball lands in my yard again I'm keeping it!
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Fri May 22, 2015 8:29 am

It's so awesome that now actual pro's that put their blood sweat and tears mastering the instrument get to give it away for free!! - just like all the other drumming hacks do on every other youtube drumming video. When you give away everything for free, it doesnt lessen it at all!! <cough> sarcasm....

Now get off my lawn you damn kids!! I use to walk to the school for miles and miles. Uphill. Both ways. Dangnabit.

SIde note. Thomas, go back to traditional grip. Nevermind your hand problems. Be cool! :mrgreen:
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri May 22, 2015 5:23 pm

He seems a bit amped up. He's not coked up. Just seems like it.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon May 25, 2015 3:48 pm

He's such an explosion of drumming education I can't take it.

Seriously though pretty impressive to nail a tune like that. Nice control of dynamics too - he's hitting just as hard as he wants. His feet are pretty amazing too.
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Tue May 26, 2015 5:32 am

What's with the He-Man power bracelets?

Anyway, I got a lot out of that video, some really useful exercises in there, and the guy is a pure drumming machine. It's helpful for me that he sounds somewhat like the Terminator when he talks. I remember Weckl talking about accenting the second partial of doubles in each hand on the double stroke roll. Forgot all about that, it's great for the hands. That five stroke figure across the toms is a pretty cool, simple fill. Watching this makes it apparent that he has really put in the time with subdivisions and stickings in all of the rhythmic scales... that's a serious time/dedication investment. The results speak for themselves I'd say.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:56 am

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Tom Reschke...my kinda guy!

Host does a good job...but...SO many missed opportunities to really ask
deeper questions like:
TL: I try to avoid fingers while playing using all wrist strokes.

HOST: Ok...but you earlier demonstrated fingers only at a high level of execution.
Did you give fingers only up in your development or would you suggest developing
fingers only to have as a tool, even for control purposes?

TL: I play wrists only.

HOST: Giving the wide variety of methods, earlier you mentioned doing a clinic with
Chad Wackerman. He comes from the Murray Spivak method which is very different.
Do you recommend players try to master many different methods or pick the ones they
are comfortable with because if a viewer watches five videos they are going to get five
different methods...it can get confusing today with ALL the free videos offered?

Now we are getting some good info from Thomas...
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com

Return to “Drumming Chat”