Postby sjj123 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:09 pm

My Lord....
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Steve Michaud

Re: Steve Michaud vids and info

Postby Steve Michaud » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:55 am

Kurtis and Sjj123,

Thanks so much for taking the time to listen! :0)

Kurtis,

The trio with Steve Hunt was supposed to do a video shoot this month, be he had to travel unexpectedly. We're doing some really nice gigs throughout the rest of the year, including a free concert at Berklee College of Music: https://www.berklee.edu/events/steve-hu ... age-fusion

There is definitely a plan to do a CD; I would imagine that recording would start within the next few months. Facebook is good place to keep up with stuff I'm doing, so if you're on there I would love to connect! Again, thanks so much for the interest, Kurtis!

Steve
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:15 am

Lucas Pickford - Steve Hunt blown fuse is one of my favorite fusion albums. Panic attack is a favorite. The hi hat accent in that groove kills me. What is that? Great circle of musicians you play with live and in studio. Looking forward to more new tunes.
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:15 am

Hi Kurtis,

The hihat pattern is a 4 over 3 polyrhythmic accent. Another way of thinking of it (polymetrically this time) would as a 6/16 over the 4/4, with the hihat falling on the 1st, 4th, and 6th subdivisions of the 6/16. It would therefore take 3 bars to cycle over the 4/4 backbeat.

Thanks for the kind words on Blown Fuse!--to this day, I feel it might be my personal favorite example of recorded playing (especially if Endo 602 is included--which had been a part of those sessions, though never made it on to the cd).

Steve
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:42 am

Hi Guys,

Here is the next installment from my clinic at The Drum Shop North Shore. Here I am demonstrating the concept of metric modulation. In this particular example, the quintuplet rate of the preceding bar becomes the 16th note rate of the following bar. Since I kept the same click throughout, the modulated section "transforms" the click into a 4 over 5 polyrhythm. At the 1:22 mark, I introduce a 7 in the kick while holding down 5 in the hands. I also break it down slower at the end. Hope you enjoy it!

Steve

percusski

Postby percusski » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:52 pm

Yeah enjoyed that!
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:34 pm

I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it, Percusski!
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:08 pm

Hi Steve,

I just wanted to say that I've been enjoying your playing a lot over the last few months. You have ability that is beyond compare and I love it.

Have you ever thought about writing a book? I'd be curious to read about your various ideas.

I've also been sharing some clips on my FB drumming page and I've included a few of yours there:

https://www.facebook.com/danielbedarddr ... =2&theater

Thanks and keep it up!
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:26 pm

Thanks so much for the support, Daniel, as it is greatly appreciated! As for writing a book (or books), I have many ideas, many even committed to paper. Schedule wise, I feel I am closer now to being able to do something like this. Jonathan Mover has also approached me to write regularly for DrumHead, something I would be very honored to do. In addition to my own concepts, I've also done numerous transcriptions which I think could be of interest to the drumming community. At any rate, writing books has been something I've been interested in doing for a long time. The more I sense interest, the more inclined I am to tackle such a project. Thank you for the suggestion, Daniel!
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Steve Michaud wrote:Hi Guys,

Here is the next installment from my clinic at The Drum Shop North Shore. Here I am demonstrating the concept of metric modulation. In this particular example, the quintuplet rate of the preceding bar becomes the 16th note rate of the following bar. Since I kept the same click throughout, the modulated section "transforms" the click into a 4 over 5 polyrhythm. At the 1:22 mark, I introduce a 7 in the kick while holding down 5 in the hands. I also break it down slower at the end. Hope you enjoy it!

Steve

Totally badass

Return to “Drumming Chat”