Guy won't take down Holdsworth/Donati video from YT

Morgenthaler

Re: Douchebaggery

Postby Morgenthaler » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:40 am

electrizer wrote:How about stopping the gig after one song and resorting to vox populi? :) I'm sure the audience would coerce the bad apples to put the cameras down?

I would approve of this :)
Rene

Postby Rene » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:44 am

electrizer wrote:
Morgenthaler wrote:
Rene wrote:It's a matter princeple, not? Video is online for two years with 1100 views, 7 likes and 2 dislikes. Ignore this child, imho

I would. It's not always my call though. But I support wholeheartedly the desire to choose which of your performances go online.
Virgil is sharing backstage gems, rehearsal footage and tons of live concerts in high quality. I think he's got the moral highground on every effing aspect of this.

This guy is recording against concert announcements, against the fact that Virg is actually posting high quality concert
videos regularly - AND the fact that he's sharing this illegally.

How about stopping the gig after one song and resorting to vox populi? :) I'm sure the audience would coerce the bad apples to put the cameras down?

How to prevent this from happening again, would be choice also.

Jeppe: you say that it's not your call. Your comment on YT doesn't mention that you react on virgil's behalf. But the troll knows who you are?
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:54 am

Rene wrote: Jeppe: you say that it's not your call. Your comment on YT doesn't mention that you react on virgil's behalf. But the troll knows who you are?

Yes, we've reached out to him several times 'backstage'. I just couldn't leave the video without a comment.
Matus

Postby Matus » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Morgenthaler wrote:
electrizer wrote:How about stopping the gig after one song and resorting to vox populi? :) I'm sure the audience would coerce the bad apples to put the cameras down?

I would approve of this :)

Been there, done that. At some point in the 2013 tour the number of cell phones recording from the audience was so big it literally took you out of the performance. We got to stop a couple of shows until people stopped recording.
Steven Wilson said it with a lot of class the other day: "I've noticed some people recording and taking pictures with their cell phones and cameras... Doesn't really bother me, but it sure bothers the guy standing right behind you".
Of course, he had signs on the venue asking not to take images and security people were stopping the ones doing it.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
chris perra

Re: Guy won't take down Holdsworth/Donati video from YT

Postby chris perra » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:55 pm

Legal Claim? It shouldn't be an issue if Allan or Virgil or Jimmy complain to Youtube.. Primarily Allan, as he is the copywriter holder/artist. Youtube will take it down. If they don't,...Youtube could be sued. If the band doesn't care enough to complain directly then it's no big deal.

I would imagine that because you are complaining on behalf of someone else actual legal stuff needs to be done. But I believe that if the artist can prove it's their material and they complain directly they will take it down. In this case it should be pretty easy to do so as Holdsworth is well known.

He will probably have to get involved though.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:23 pm

I liked the previous thread title better...
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:28 pm

Copyright owners can use a system called Content ID to easily identify and manage their content on YouTube.

Videos uploaded to YouTube are scanned against a database of files that have been submitted to us by content owners. Copyright owners get to decide what happens when content in a video on YouTube matches a work they own. When this happens, the video gets a Content ID claim.

Allans' tune does not appear to have a Content ID (and there is no music link to purchase the tune on the youtube page)???
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:03 am

It presumably doesn't work with live tunes as there'd be nothing in the database to match it against.
____
Ned
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:02 am

It works for live music too (assuming the tune has a content I'd).
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:04 pm

Makes you wonder about the millions of $$$ in ad revenue youtube is generating from things like bootleg drum solos. Just one of Vinnie's bootlegs that comes to mind is climbing in on 2 million views...

How much (if any) of that ad revenue goes back to the artist (where it rightfully belongs)? How much control does youtube grant an artist with respect to their intellectual property (eg 'improvised drum solo')? Why is youtube dictating the business rules (and monetary compensation) with regard to an artists' intellectual property....

Return to “Drumming Chat”