Practice Pad = no Pad Hands

deseipel

Re: Practice Pad = no Pad Hands

Postby deseipel » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:42 am

I've been using the HQ Sound Off 'mutes' on top of a Real Feel pad and I think that's going to have to do for now. I sort of would like to try the EPads first. On another note, I emailed them about the snare pad model and they haven't responded yet. it seems like they're just neoprene overtop of something and the HQ mutes are neoprene anyway.
tobiasralph

Postby tobiasralph » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:49 am

I use the E-Pads and I've found them to be the closest thing to playing a real drum, with an extra degree of difficulty built in. Meaning, it feels like I'm playing on a floor tom which doesn't have as much rebound as a snare drum...if that makes sense. I use the Moongel pad sometimes to really work my wrists and I'll use the RealFeel pads to do finger work. The E-Pad falls in the middle of those two pads. It's not too bouncy, but it doesn't feel like I'm playing a pillow.

I'm an endorsee of E-Pads and I specifically use the EP12 practice pad and the ProDeluxe knee pad.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:43 am

Though I'd revive this:

Only using the real drums for anything now I clearly feel it's time for a better pad alternative.

I have a Realfeel, which is ok for finger control. I'm really starting to not like it for anything else. Still, even then that's technique that is to be used ona real drum, so... Hardly a "real" feel. Full single strokes conditioning ok, but.....

The Remo is good, but it's soooo LOUD. Sort of defeats the purpose in this day and age. Offcourse they were never made to be silent, just cheap and easy to transport. All the kids in the school band used to get one to practice on.

I have a P4 coming as a sign up bonus from Drumeo. Can't imagine it being much else than what it seems, though. Just easy access to different rebounds.

I'm most curious about the Aquarian Superpad now. They also work as mutes and you can play brushes on them which is HUGE. I think I'll just order one and hope it does the job.

There are all these Offworld and Xymox things, I just can't really imagine anything that doesn't have a moving membrane of some sort being much different. They are also really loud it seems. Might as well use my TSS in that case.

There is a bit of innvation going on. Curious to see how the Superpad stacks up. I know I don't like mesh in any way, so hoepfully this is better.

I imagine a a kit wih Superpads or something similar silent cymbals wold be a much better practice solution, certainly cheaper than any typical digital offering.
mcraeh

Postby mcraeh » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:08 am

I use the E-Pad, great pad but bad name with all the electronic equip out there. I was not sure they were even around anymore!!
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:39 am

Slightly weird marketing vid, but they're still there:

http://www.epadco.com/
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:45 pm

This e pad looks interesting
http://www.epadco.com/Rounds.html

Great discussion...one of those inner thoughts I've had..."This doesn't feel right
but everyone else is using them so it must be me right?" I have WAY better
control on a firm mattress. The old MD interview with Chambers messed me
up. Pillow/bed practice to get a strong upstroke...this was pre-grubber,
natural feel, insane amount of instructional materials...then the comprehensive
Jojo video on technique. He's a mad man!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:06 am

I have been thinking about those E-padssomce I started playing, just never got around to ordering one.

It's still a rubber pad, though.

What people seem to like is that I gives a good "workout", as it has less rebound. So I don't know.

Playing really only on my snare now, no matter what I do, the head isn'y just a certainly level of rebound, it's also a different thing with a vibration and a sort of lope to it. It's like that for everything and especially when playing flams and drags. It either sounds and feels right or it doesn't.

The old Remo pad seems to get the closest, which I guess is no wonder.

Alec is into the moongel pad it seems, with no rebound. That I guess is sort of the Alan Dawson thing with brushes. I really think that's good for many reasons like picking up the stick and it naturally forces you to relax your grip. Hard to work on fingers with that, though.

So what does Vinnie use? :lol: Seen a few clips with the Smith Backstage pad, but I guess he has at least one of everything and keeps his chops up naturally gigging and recording every day.
Frank Sanchez

Postby Frank Sanchez » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:40 am

I have three Xymox pads, "snare reserves." Super articulate and very close in comparison to the surface tension of a marching snare. I love and am inspired by them. I also own Smith's Backstage Pad. Gum rubber knee pad for quiet travel, ie. in cars, or at sporting events. I have Gottlieb's "Scout" pad (also a knee pad) from Offworld, which has two sides for loud travel, ie. parks where my kids are running around for hours at a time! I recently bought a RealFeel dual sided pad as well for late night practicing.

In the end, I have something for every occasion and while there are adjustments to be made upon an acoustic kit, my chops have never been better, which isn't saying much in one respect! But my doubles/cadences are vastly improved.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:28 am

Do you guys find that the rubber on the Real Feel pad changes over time? I could swear that mine isn't as "rubbery" anymore. It's probably 15 to 20 years old though...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:48 pm

Any rubber will harden a little bit over time.

I have an original HQ that I bought in 2009. It does feel different from the new Evans pads I bought for work a couple of years ago. Certainly less "rubbery" than those.

Return to “Drumming Chat”