Practice Pad = no Pad Hands

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Practice Pad = no Pad Hands

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:01 am

Definetly a real snare when I can. I can all the time, but it's still not in my home.

I like the no rebound approach. I basically fold a towel over my pad. Helps me relax when I warm up.

Don't know how I would work any kind of roll or fingers without rebound, though.
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:20 pm

I was thinking about this thread recently while I was hitting the pads.

I use 4 pads, each a little different regarding sound and feel, mounted on a square piece of plywood, covered by a couple of handkerchiefs.

I also like using a number of different sticks, so I looked down and counted them for the first time:

12 pairs! 5 pairs drum sticks, 5 pairs timbale style, 2 rubber mallets.

I hadn't realized it was that many.

My favorite sticks are SD1, SD4 and SD9.

The heaviest pair, Morgan Rose' Alien Freak signatures, really make me think about moving in coordination with the sticks.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:48 am

I think I wouldn't mind an 8 inch pad on small stand if there was a way to make it feel good. A real travel pad.

I remember seeing some drummer selling basically a wooden stick with rubber on the end that would fit into a stand base. Some Polish drummer I think. Don't remember his name. Maybe taking it a bit too far with accuracy, but maybe not.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:09 am

Handy tools:

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:26 am

Mailman just dropped by with my subscription bonus:

The main blue part feels more natural than the RealFeel for sure. It's a bit louder. The harder sections are not as hard, loud and high pitched as the underside of the RealFeel, so they're not annoying in the same degree. Seem pretty right for working hi-hat chops.

At first impression it seems a pretty neat option for everything in a small package.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:24 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Mailman just dropped by with my subscription bonus:

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:23 pm

Yeah, same thing, just the new Drumeo version. Not sure what happened there.

Can't conpletely agree on the rebound, though.

Main "snare" part feels as close to a regular Remo pad as rubber can. The "floor tom" part, though soft and quiet, is the part with most bounce to me.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:03 am

Super-Pad in da house.

Very quiet and low pitched.

Slightly less rebound than my snare, but it's pretty close in feel. It's really just film over foam, so in a way it's just a quieter slightly softer Remo.

I think I'd be happy just getting a set of these for a practice kit and they are as far as I know the only product that's both a mute and a stand alone pad.

A couple of snares with these on top might also be the ulitimate solution for teaching.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Jul 16, 2016 2:41 pm

So pads.

I think I've sort of arrived with this trio here.

Super-Pad has grown on me. There was a tendency, probably because of it being so quiet, to get a little rough in the beginning. At this pooint though, I think there's nothing more realistic I've played. Obviously, they all have the same surface so the tom pads might not be quite there, but it does feel like a head. I think an 8" mounted on something really solid would be a great travel option as well. As it comes it's best on top of a snare, but that's how I use it anyway. Turning the snares on it's obviously less quiet, but it gives a nice dry snare sound that totall kills any "snare mechanism" pad I've ever tried. You can't cheat with that type of sound. When I get into teaching full time sometime again I'd love to get me some of these on top of some snares as the standard. Love it!

The Moongel pad. Well, you could use anything to get no rebound. It's just practical for me to have this. I can put it on top of the snare or on top on the Super-Pad to get completely quiet. I used to just put a towel or t-shirt on top of my RealFeel, but this is an actual surface and it has an attack. This are long term investments, so really, why not? It's the stick version of brush wagging and it just sort of works the muscles on the other side which keeps things even and stable.

The Brush-Up pad I got only a few days ago, but it's great. 14", great head, sits snuggly on top of a snare if you want to. Does the job and keeps me from destroying the Super-Pad with brushes, which offcourse has no etching either. It has a realistic metal rim and your brushes can even get stuck on the edges like a real snare. :P You can pay it with sticks, but it's loud. Because of the design it really reasonates a bit so you can do the phone book thing in a quiet setting, but get actual brush sounds.

Not having a good hi-hat option yet, apart from one of my rubber pads, from picking up a Big Fat Snare with a hole in the middle I got another little idea. You can sort of make make your own little "strike-zone" that way, but also it's a different sound and slightly more hi-hat like to play on.

L80s are on the list, but I want 14" hats and I don't really need a crash. I think they sdhould start sellingthem individually instead of just packs and have all sizes so people could replicate their regular kits.

For regular pads, not to tout another Aquarian product, the Tru-Bounce gets a lot of positive comments. I haven't tried it though.

Prologix are cool in that they have a lot of choices.

Offcourse, there are there all these special pads like Innovator, Xymox bla bla bla, but at last to me, they are first of all not very quiet, they sound unpleasant, they are sort of for a different purpose and the realistic ones are probably more on the marching kevlar side. If that's what I want I already got a TSS, so...

I feel I'm covered and these things actually feel good and give no "pad hands".
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:52 pm

Funny...Amazon has the E-Pads listed under electronic drums

The cork coaster idea might keep me up tonight...I know I have
one of those things around the house...but where?
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com

Return to “Drumming Chat”