Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Industry

Old Pit Guy

Re: Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Indu

Postby Old Pit Guy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:33 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Old Pit Guy wrote:I don't know which is more strange:.

I don't think you understand the amount of money that Google spends making sure that change doesn't happen.

And I don't think you understood my point.

The person in the story you quoted travels to Washington to discuss with congresspeople an obvious and continuing exploitation by the usual suspects - people with a lot of money taking advantage of people with a lot less money. And these artists are told that they're disorganized and not on message. So the plea goes out on social media to ... I suppose get on message so they can go back with a better argument.

Meanwhile, as I said before in the thread, the buying public has definitely been on message that they don't really give a damn about the plight of the artist. So, to me, it's nothing but strange that this kabuki is stuck on repeat when what someone needs to do is figure out a way to wake the public up to get engaged, if possible, because the artists have very little power in this fight unless they do something like strike and/or organize protests to get the media, and hopefully, the public interested. Facebook posts aren't going to get it done.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:45 am

I understood your point and I disagree. If you want to show me the results of your research that the buying public "don't really give a damn about the plight of the artist" I'll take a look. Until then, lend a helping hand, or continue NOT doing something. Do you own a bunch of Google stock or something?

Whether the "public" is okay with business as usual or not doesn't mean that things don't need to change. This is about changing laws and regulations and following the money.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:14 am

The buying public with conscious taste, with appreciation for certain artist, do care. Why else would they still go to shows and buy cds at those shows?

People want to pay for movies, too. It just has to be as easy to do it legally as it is to do it illegally. Like having things easily availabale in a legal format as soon as possible.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:56 am

I probably should have started a new topic instead of just replying to this existing one. The MusicAnswers.org movement is not about the general public stealing or not wanting to pay for music. It's about the big companies that are making a LOT of money from music exploitation and the push to enact new legislation and agreements. Everyone needs to AT LEAST sign up and Endorse the Music Answers Declaration.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:11 pm

electrizer

Re: Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Industry

Postby electrizer » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:57 am

http://fortune.com/2016/05/24/spotify-financials/

That’s partly because the digital music business looks increasingly fragile, at least the way it is structured currently. Of every dollar that Spotify brings in the door in revenues, about 85 cents goes right back out the door again in the form of payments to the music industry. That number is climbing at a faster rate than the company’s revenues are, and still there are complaints that streaming music services don’t pay enough money to artists. Where does all of this ultimately lead?
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:18 am

I have just started a new thread about the very same thing but cool ;)
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:26 am

Ahh .. didn't see your thread. My bad. The admin can delete all this.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:20 am

http://www.musicanswers.org/doj-details.html

Since music creators, their business partners, and music fans will lose in this situation, who will benefit?
The answer: Google-owned YouTube, Spotify, Pandora, Apple, and all other digital music services that will now
be able to simply shop for the lowest rate.

The power of the digital media alliance, its highly-paid lobbyists,
and its allies within government is becoming abundantly apparent.

Return to “Drumming Chat”