DAVE WECKL - The thread about Dave

Pocketplayer

Re: DAVE WECKL - The thread about Dave

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:44 pm

I like Dave's playing now more than ever. FLUID MOTION...he's like a stream
and I am witnessing a hydrograph in action!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:45 am

That guy is my favorite. Nobody I like better than watching/listening to Dave. Those "up" cymbal crashes on the ride with his right hand are great. He's on fire these days. Beautiful sound.
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:47 am

Dave is amazing, but man, I am soooo bored of drum solos. All these clinics are taking drumming way out of context.
langmick

Postby langmick » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:17 am

I agree. The drums can be a monotonous instrument no matter the proficiency of the musician. There's little musical drama in a never ending stream of notes.

I'm left waitng for the musical resolution a lot of times in these solos and not getting it. Dave is obviously amazing and mind blowing.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:43 am

"I am soooo bored of drum solos"--

Isn't this what drum forums mainly do...a thread about Dave is mostly vids of solos
rather than great songs. The Internet changed the game TOTALLY...almost all drumming
was audio prior to Youtube...the occasional videos (bootlegs)...you had to listen and imagine.
Now you can literally burn an entire day watching almost anything from Chick Webb to some
kid playing to Beat It w/a million views. Info/entertainment overload leading to "been there,
done that"...whatever, show me a better trick. I just learned two new card tricks...found them
online. Showed one guy yesterday and he said, "Did you get that from _______ on his Youtube channel?"
I told him yes...and he showed me a trick he learned from the same guy (one of which was putting
a nail in his nose). Point being, all the "tricks" are out in the open. Back in "the day" learning
those two card tricks could get me free beer for years in a bar (if I went to bars).

Now...imagine being Dave, or Vinnie, or Virgil, or Marco, or Bob down the street...the attention span
is diminished unless you can be a 'circus freak'--there have never been so many technical drummers
in my lifetime, but in the end, a great song always triumphs and now we're back to time, groove, and feel...
along with a great sound. Who won the latest 100 Greatest Drummers Poll? (forgot the magazine...
I think it was Rolling Stones)

There's a reason Bonham keeps winning or places so high in these things.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:55 pm

I don't think my attention span for great music has diminished. Great music itself has diminished. Drum solos can be impressive, but most are not very interesting (aside from the technical difficulty). It's rare when you see a solo that works as a its own composition, complete with motifs, repetition, emotion, etc. Buddy Rich was very good in that regard; Same with Tony Williams; Same with a lot of good jazz drummers who are soloing in the context of a song (whether it be trading fours, extended solo, or free).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFQWIPJJ5p4
moose

Postby moose » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:37 pm

Meanwhile, digging Dave's new look...

Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:28 pm

This is a must see! Chick is 75 and still killing it. This might be the last go at it for this band. Going to catch them Saturday when they play at Catalinas. Haven't seen this band since they played at the old Catalina joint.
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:42 am

I thought it was funny they had to use a still shot of Dave smiling during the "smile montage" at the end.... "ok we found 3 frames of a smirk, was that a smirk? Yes, I think that was a smirk...are you sure? yes, let's use that...."

What Im saying here folks, he don't smile much.

:)
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:08 pm

https://youtu.be/V_Q2N9NMlXU

Interview about his nutrition and exercise routines. Something different.

Return to “Drumming Chat”