Official Virgil Donati thread

Pocketplayer

Re: Official Virgil Donati thread

Postby Pocketplayer » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Dawn of Time ready for sale at:
http://virgildonati.spinshop.com

Official release is Sept 15th.

Has this been posted before? high def a gig at its best...
Floripa Eleven & 11Vamp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a33OENX ... e=youtu.be

Dear Friends,

‘The Dawn Of Time’ has been a monumental work for me to complete, the culmination of many years of work. With a street release date of September 15, it’s available right now for pre-order, and instant download only from my SpinShop, two weeks before the official release date.

For this huge enterprise, I made a decision against the trend of crowd funding, devoting all my time and effort to the writing and playing of the music itself. To this end, your support is invaluable. Please visit my SpinShop:

virgildonati.spinshop.com

“The recording places the drums at the center of a vast, contemporary orchestral production. A combination of amazing musicians and orchestral virtual instruments allowed me to conceive and bring to life this massive musical undertaking. I found the orchestral palette gave me the textures, timbres, soundscape to enhance the rhythmic explorations of the drums, putting it to the service of music. The bass and drums are the impetus behind this music, with the orchestra arousing emotions, taking us on a transcendent journey.”

Warm regards

Virgil Donati
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:38 pm

Big and Ugly :)

Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:41 am

I don't even think using marching sticks and flipping them so the edges are facing the ceiling, ala Coleman/Nilles, is going to buy you a cymbal with Big & Ugly. It must be a relief to hit a real crash after spending time with these ... "I can hear again!"

Or maybe the brain is like, "I can't hear a cymbal so my ears must be clogged" and inserts the feeling of dishing out 1 large for decent cymbals.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:00 pm

Old Pit Guy wrote:I don't even think using marching sticks and flipping them so the edges are facing the ceiling, ala Coleman/Nilles, is going to buy you a cymbal with Big & Ugly. It must be a relief to hit a real crash after spending time with these ... "I can hear again!"

Or maybe the brain is like, "I can't hear a cymbal so my ears must be clogged" and inserts the feeling of dishing out 1 large for decent cymbals.

Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:26 am

Old Pit Guy: "I can't hear a cymbal so my ears must be clogged"
and inserts the feeling of dishing out 1 large for decent cymbals"

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:34 am

electrizer wrote:
Old Pit Guy wrote:I don't even think using marching sticks and flipping them so the edges are facing the ceiling, ala Coleman/Nilles, is going to buy you a cymbal with Big & Ugly. It must be a relief to hit a real crash after spending time with these ... "I can hear again!"

A riff on hearing loss. It's about 5 posts down -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2433=&p=39876
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:37 am

Pocketplayer wrote:
Old Pit Guy: "I can't hear a cymbal so my ears must be clogged"
and inserts the feeling of dishing out 1 large for decent cymbals"

Thought I spelled it right? Oh well ...

I suppose they don't sound horrible when in a mix (as in the videos), but if you ever sample a B&U personally you'll see what I mean. It's basically Clang! with the 'ang' removed.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:25 pm

These big and ugly simbals need different adjectives
to describe their products. It's more like poopy suds and ass discharge. I don't get it. They sound like a car running over a homeless person on Hanover street in Boston. It doesn't happen often but when it does it's bad. Just like these simbals.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sun Sep 04, 2016 8:41 pm

They don't necessarily fit Virgil's music but at least Sabian is trying different things, and while I wouldn't perhaps use an entire B&U range to populate each and every cymbal stand on my kit there are definitely some interesting sound options there.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:20 pm

I find the vibe of the B&U line interesting, but from what I've sampled, they never play well when I hit on them in person. I did recently, have Bettis make me a couple cymbals that are in that dynamic, and they are sonorous.

Return to “Drumming Chat”