Drum Set Recommendations

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Drum Set Recommendations

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:23 pm

A pro plays what was available.

Drummers would notice what the drummer was playing.

The point is not really the audience, though. It's what you like, what you prefer what makes you the most comfortable.

We could say the same for any instrument.

I can make any functional guitar sound good, but I still know what feels like home, makes it easier and more comfortable for me.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:16 pm

I said no examples, but this one is good enough to post... Nicolas tearing this (cheapo?) Cadeson kit up. Notice the Cadeson heads and cymbals. Oh, and it´s a phone recording.

Rene

Postby Rene » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:19 am

De B20 Cadeson cymbals are made by Turkish.... This one is a cheap cadeson drumset. Their blast series sound awesome. Way much better than DW. Or did I mention that already :-D
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:36 pm

I don't want to get into my horrendous cadeson experience. But on a good note, the 10+ year old Cadeson Basswood kits sounded real nice. The laquer maple finish Basswood kit sounds pretty awesome. But their "top of the line" stuff is nowhere I wanna go.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:40 am

One of the best cheap kits I've heard was an early version of the Premier Cabria, (the later ones I've seen were really a completely different kit). So beat up that I'm not sure if the snare could work or not, too many issues, but once I put on new heads the rest of the kit sounded fab.
Drumolator

Postby Drumolator » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:05 pm

I like Gretsch, Mapex, and Pearl. They have always worked for me. Peace and goodwill.
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:25 pm

I’m regularly impressed with today’s lower end kits. The quality seemed to surge in the late 1990s and early 2000s from what I remember. The Stage Custom line from Yamaha was the first that really made me sit up and notice.

I think today’s mid line and even entry kits are as good or better than most pro level kits from the 70s and 80s. Especially in the shell roundness and bearing edge departments.

When I first started playing, it was common to find that most kits had at least one “dog tom” or something else going on that you were less than thrilled with. But that was the way it was, and you dealt with it.

I guess shell technology advancements, better QC, and stiffer competition in the market is to thank for today’s better lower end drums.

I agree with what Chris P said about high end kits making it easier to get a great sound, but it's not impossible for a lower one.

And what Julian said too. Cheap cymbals will usually sound bad. And there's little you can do to a cheap, shitty sounding cymbal to make it any better.

Return to “Drumming Chat”