Allan Holdsworth R.I.P.

sjj123

Re: Allan Holdsworth R.I.P.

Postby sjj123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:03 am

Met Allan once about 3 yrs ago. Jimmy & Virg there....got an autograph for my un-opened "Road Games" album. Also saw him With Gary in Albany NY 1992 or so...BIG yellow drums

Some of my most favorite solo's come off JLP Albums such as "Point of No Return" off The Atacama Experience.
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:32 pm

beat hit wrote:HODer is linked on these two...

Thanks for the share, Beat Hit! Yes, I was very saddened to hear of Allan's death, and am continually thankful to have recorded these tracks with him!

Steve Michaud
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:34 pm

BennyAndTheSkins wrote:
Kurtis wrote:https://youtu.be/LKiq1e40CIM

April 3rd at Alvas.

I listened through the first 10 minutes of this. Actually, I didn't think Allan played badly - his solo wasn't as blistering as it's been in the past on that tune, but it's not like he was missing chord changes, or anything. Who was on drums, bass and keys?

Hi BennyAndTheSkins,

On keys is my good friend Steve Hunt (we are currently in two bands together); Virgil Donati is on drums; the bass player was new in Allan's group--his name escapes me at the moment.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:55 pm

I was at the Alvas gig and at Saint Rocke in Hermosa just over a year ago. Same band but Jimmy H on bass and no one keys. It's nice to have a keyboard player in the band to play chords. Otherwise the music can be a shit storm to follow. I loved the Hermosa gig cause Jimmys bass sounded huge! The confidence and authority in the time is felt so deep when you see him play live. I'm not just there to see Allen. I'm there to see all the amazing cats on stage. Virgil could always be louder. It's Allens gig but Virgil is just killing every bar. I first saw Allen with Husband in 93 at Catalina's. My foot rested on stage next to his bass drum. You can get crazy close at Catalina's back in the day. Gary must have had dozen pair of sticks fly out of his hands . Gary is crazy fun to watch. Him and Allen really had "that" connection. Shame Allen and Gary didn't work more in their later years.
BennyAndTheSkins

Postby BennyAndTheSkins » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:06 am

Steve Michaud wrote:
BennyAndTheSkins wrote:
Kurtis wrote:https://youtu.be/LKiq1e40CIM

April 3rd at Alvas.

I listened through the first 10 minutes of this. Actually, I didn't think Allan played badly - his solo wasn't as blistering as it's been in the past on that tune, but it's not like he was missing chord changes, or anything. Who was on drums, bass and keys?

Hi BennyAndTheSkins,

On keys is my good friend Steve Hunt (we are currently in two bands together); Virgil Donati is on drums; the bass player was new in Allan's group--his name escapes me at the moment.

Thanks for your reply Steve, and apologies for calling Steve Hunt "Jim" in my earlier recollection (Had an old manager named Jim Hunt... :-) )
I enjoyed your playing in the posted clips with Allan, and envy your interaction with one of the true Lions, even if it was as a Lion in the Winter of his life.

Tragic reading Gary's eulogy-like assessment. So, his troubles really began to surface right after I ran into him in '99/'00. I knew he was always a home-brew aficionado, but wasn't aware of his demons.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:58 am

THE legendary guitarist of this generation who cannot pay for his
own funeral is tragic on every level! Stunningly sad...
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:40 am

It is sad that Holdsworth's finances were so bad, but how many among us can say that they actually paid for any of his music? I personally purchased all of his records on vinyl back in the day, and then repurchased them on CD. Every one, including the stuff he did with Tony Williams, Bill Bruford, and Jean Luc Ponty. I'm not trying to blame anyone here for Holdsworth's situation, but try to remember that a lot of advanced music is not appreciated by the masses (whether it be jazz, fusion, contemporary classical or "new music", etc.) nor even played on radio. That means very little income is generated. If and when you truly enjoy something, you really owe it to the creator to pay for it. Otherwise, there will be no more Holdsworths or similar revolutionaries in the future.
langmick

Postby langmick » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:17 pm

I understand the blame for the public not appreciating Allan, but he made choices that went against the grain. If he worked within UK and not quit he would perhaps be another Steve Hackett, who is enjoying a long career.

Having seen very recently with a close friend how booze, even beer, destroys life, Allan's situation would have been tough to turn around. It's a damned shame. Gary was right to bring it up, but he did it much too late.

I bought everything he put out.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:48 pm

I bought everything that I have of his which includes all the Bruford stuff, UK, Tony Williams and his solo albums. I'm largely old school and need the liner notes and something tactile to have in my hands.

The struggles of alcoholism are troubling for families to hear but when done in a non-judgemental way I think it can be beneficial for others to see/hear that insight as tough as it may be.

On the other hand, I went to a friend's father's funeral and the priest mentioned the father's alcohol and, indirectly, other very personal issues that led up to his death. My friend felt quite embarrassed and disappointed as well as some members of her family.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:09 am

This article says it all really for me about the choice of playing
music that cannot find a place on the dial...and the cost or lack
thereof of getting payback for brilliance, skill, discipline, and
genius.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/18/the-m ... 1946-2017/

To date;
$114,067 of $20k goal
Raised by 2,824 people in 10 days

I might get slammed for the following, but the Holdsworth family should never have to
worry about money for the rest of their lives. Those guitarists who have made tens of
millions of dollars need to get together and take care of his family.

2,824 people in 10 days...where was Eddie and ALL the other boys who were influenced
by MR HOLDSWORTH playing a genre of music that profited them immensely? This is
the sad part for me...there are some very wealthy musicians out there who need to take
care of their brother's family!

Allan had addiction issues? What rock guitarist hasn't? All the more compassion for the
man.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,
a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good
men die like dogs." To which I'd add, the mediocre and banal are
celebrated and remunerated, while the sublimely gifted and ever-
searching are routinely marginalized.

...and I will add how sickening it is to hear specific musicians admit to spending
hundreds of thousands of dollars a week on "shopping" or athletes gamble away tens
of millions of dollars and ignoring the needs of their fellow brothers who paved
the way for them to make that kind of cash! Truly unforgivable behavior!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com

Return to “Drumming Chat”