Jazz drummers weekly study list

Tom Reschke

Jazz drummers weekly study list

Postby Tom Reschke » Sun May 14, 2017 10:39 am

I'm nearly 40 and am trying to do the thing that I used to do in college which was study a drummer for a week and listen to nothing else but that particular drummer. It was tough back then, as you needed cd's or tapes or a listening lab at a university library. But now that there's everything available to everyone at all times, I'd like to compile a list of the "hits" so to speak of the legends that came before, so that perhaps we all can participate in this kind of study. So, my question to all of you is to name about 3-5 recordings of the most legendary recordings of the giants in our field. Roy Haynes, Elvin, Tony, Philly Joe, Jack, Tain, Bill Stewart, Gadd, Brian Blade, Paul Motian, Idris Muhammed, Jeff Hamilton, Greg Hutchinson, etc... This could be akin to a book club, where we all pick one drummer for a week and just digest the particular style they have and discuss. Maybe a weekend chatty sort of thing where it happens every, say, Sunday. The thing is, we'd all have to agree on the albums to study, which might be problematic, but I think we can come to a consensus within the 3-5 album parameter. As in, A Love Supreme would definitely be included on the Elvin list. Anyone into this? Could be good, could be argumentative, but will certainly be eye opening to all as far as digesting a drummer or album that we may have never heard, and might inspire is to practice! We could post videos of us playing what we've gleaned and so forth. Could be fun and informative.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Jim Richman

Re: Jazz drummers weekly study list

Postby Jim Richman » Mon May 15, 2017 2:05 pm

I personally would pick a song, work out the chords on piano and try to play the melody. Then playing drums will be a lot easier.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Morgenthaler

Re: Jazz drummers weekly study list

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon May 15, 2017 9:38 pm

Would love to Tom, but I don't have the time these days. Great idea, though!

Return to “Drumming Chat”