Drummer monitoring help - In Ear/headphones/speaker ?

Juan Expósito

Drummer monitoring help - In Ear/headphones/speaker ?

Postby Juan Expósito » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:45 am

Hello !!
I want to re-start using InEar/headphones monitoring. I´ve used some decent ones (InEar Shure medium price).
I need it for regular monitoring, and also for using click in live gigs and some sequences I have to trigger.

Last night I used them again...
My experience is the InEar sounds great (quality sound) but it´s too much isolation from the external world, detailed but sterile...I could play well but the experience is not enjoyable.

Those of you using Headphones/inear monitoring, what are you using for more musical experience ?
Semiopen-closed headphones? I wouldn´t mind using them.
In-ear + big speaker in the floor?

Let´s talk.
(I didn´t find some old In-ear topic in the searching)
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Drummer monitoring help - In Ear/headphones/speaker ?

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:19 am

I don't do gigs that really require it, but I'veben looking around a lot.

Many models these days have built in mics for mixing in sounds from your enviroment.

Earlier solutions would be to just have a few dedicated mics for that.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:06 pm

A friend of mine uses a small mixer and throws down a couple 58's on the floor one on the left side of stage one on right..when there's too much isolation.. my band is loud ...I've not needed any mics..
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:44 pm

I used to use them often but then I started feeling like it was affecting my limb balance and ability to 'self-mix', so I backed off a lot. It became real easy to just reach for the mixer and solve things that I should probably have been solving with feel and touch. Now I only use them if the venue is large enough where stage volume is going to be a real issue (rare), when there's a lot of programmed tracks I need to lock in with (even more rare), or when I track in my studio.

When I do use them, I use a QSC Touchmix, pipe the band in on a few channels (depending on what's available from the monitor or FOH guy), and a pair of Westone UM Pro 30s. It's an easy rabbit hole to crawl down, if you're not careful you'll find yourself hauling around as much SR gear as drums. For mics I used to have everything mic'd up, now I just like overhead(s) and kick.

Return to “Drumming Chat”