Moving to LA (another one of these posts)

Isaac Lee

Moving to LA (another one of these posts)

Postby Isaac Lee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:56 pm

I'm heading down to Los Angeles from my tiny little town in Montana. Its been a long coming as I have wanted to do this for over a decade. I've looked into it so many times. A couple of those times were during my 20's when I made the decision to move but didn't follow through. I've worked 2 jobs and saved up some money over the last 8 months and am feeling like I am ready finally at age 31 (single no kids with a dream of seeing the world playing drums).

I do have a close friend who works in the music industry and she has been encouraging me and helping as I prepare to head that direction. As excited as I am about this move it naturally comes with some fears.

At any rate I know that there are several members of this forum, to include Steve himself, who live in L.A. I know that there are some of you that moved here then relocated to other areas of the country. As such, I am curious if anyone would be willing to give me any advice or suggestions that might be helpful in this transition.

One of my main concerns is my number one priority in finding a job. I've tried to find one while still in Montana and it has been very difficult. People aren't willing to hire me until I'm actually there. So I've decided to go against my good wherewithal and move down to look for work. My friend and I are both looking on craiglist and I may have a sublet/room in a house secured month to month. If I can't find work then this boat isn't going to float and I will have to return to Montana. I will be spending a lot of time searching and I feel confident I can sell myself to get a job. Although I keep hearing that its really TOUGH to find work down there.

Another concern of mine is practice space. I obviously won't be playing my kit in my room since I will have a roomate/s initially. I should be good to practice on pads though and will be doing plenty of that. But I just can't help but wonder what you guys do. I am a disciplined practitioner and being restricted to pads makes me cringe. But that might my only option for a while.

Lastly, if anyone knows of any job leads or rooms for rent please let me know. Also, I would love to hear any stories of similar journeys that anyone else has taken. Thanks!

Isaac Lee
Isaac Lee

Re: Moving to LA (another one of these posts)

Postby Isaac Lee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:05 pm

Found this "lower rate" practice room. http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mu ... 85406.html 250.00/mo
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:44 pm

Cool man, good luck! Did you grow up where you are now?
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Yes I did.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Isaac Lee wrote:I keep hearing that its really TOUGH to find work down there.

True, but I think it's tough everywhere right now. If you're good at what you do, you'll find work eventually. Speaking of which, what line of work are you in anyway?

Practice space is expensive, but you can always rent a room by the hour for under $20/hr and they usually provide drums (with destroyed heads and cracked low-grade cymbals).

As long as you have a car or motorcycle while you're here, you're bound to find work within a month or two, as long as you're open to "where" you're willing to work (as far as neighborhood) and how much you're willing to be paid. Wages have come down pretty much across the board, and Los Angeles is not a cheap place to live. We need to pay for the weather.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:24 pm

Cool, I bet it's super exciting for you. Good luck with everything man!
My lockout is on the west side, I'm pretty sure there's vacancies. I'm not sure if that's close to where you're moving to or not.
Let me know if you have any questions once you get here.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:46 pm

Speaking of which, what line of work are you in anyway?

Well I've done all sorts of things. Painter, Cook, Retail Sales (music store), Computer Tech, Army Ranger. Pretty diverse. My Resume is kickin' too!

Cool, I bet it's super exciting for you. Good luck with everything man!
My lockout is on the west side, I'm pretty sure there's vacancies. I'm not sure if that's close to where you're moving to or not.
Let me know if you have any questions once you get here.

Right on Steve thanks for the encouragement and willingness to help! I'm looking for places in west hollywood primarily. Might have to check out a lockout in your building.

As long as you have a car or motorcycle while you're here, you're bound to find work within a month or two, as long as you're open to "where" you're willing to work (as far as neighborhood) and how much you're willing to be paid.

Ya I hear ya man. I will be driving down in my 08 scion Xb. I recently read this amazing book called 48 days to the work you love. It really has a great approach to finding work. I feel very confident in finding a job. I have established a dialogue with the gentleman in hiring at Guitar Center on Sunset. I missed this last round of hiring because I wasn't in town yet. But I did get an offer for an interview so that is good. I believe its commissioned based salary. I'm going to need to be clearing a good 2kish a month though. So...I may be working a few jobs for a some time while I establish some long term roots.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Isaac Lee wrote:I will be driving down in my 08 scion Xb.

Be careful with that xB! I read recently that they're one of the most ticketed vehicles around!

http://www.automotive.com/worst-cars/mo ... on-xb.html
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Be careful with that xB! I read recently that they're one of the most ticketed vehicles around!

:lol: Ahhhh! lol
LADanny

Postby LADanny » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Hey Isaac,

there are a number of us out here in LA, so be sure to keep us posted, and don't be shy! This drumming community is tight, and we always help each other when we can.

Excited for you!

Danny

Return to “Drumming Chat”