Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Industry

Paul Marangoni

Re: Taking the Anti-Piracy Argument Back From the Music Industry

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:52 pm

Incredible book and a must-read for anyone creating music or trying to earn a living through the arts.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:24 pm

I think this fits in here:

electrizer

Postby electrizer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:30 am

"EU paid for a report that concluded piracy isn’t harmful — and tried to hide the findings"

In an academic article published in 2016, two European Commission officials reported a link between lost sales for blockbusters and illegal downloads of those films. They failed to disclose, however, that the study this was based on also looked at music, ebooks and games, where it found no such connection. On the contrary, in the case of video games, the study found the opposite link, indicating a positive influence of illegal game downloads on legal sales.

https://thenextweb.com/eu/2017/09/21/eu ... w_LOCTSdEx
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:29 pm

BTW this is one of Kindle Monthly Deals and I just got this from Amazon UK for my Kindle for 1.99. Not sure about the US so you better check

Paul Marangoni wrote:Incredible book and a must-read for anyone creating music or trying to earn a living through the arts.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:07 pm

electrizer wrote:"EU paid for a report that concluded piracy isn’t harmful — and tried to hide the findings"

Consider the source.

While you're at it, see what Google has been up to.

Musicians have more listeners than ever—which is why they’re making less money than ever
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:57 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:Consider the source.

What about it?
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:57 am

She is yet another person who wants to make it easier to use the creative works of others in any way they see fit. Her platform is so ridiculous, yet so pervasive, that I want to vomit.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:18 am

Hmm, all I wanted to do was to post the findings of a study. I'm not disputing it's validity, nor am I siding with Google or Facebook or whatever in this matter. But Im of a determinist view, meaning that it is what it is, this is where we've come to and it's on the creators to make their voices heard.

I don't think there's any point lamenting about YouTube, about Google, and the gatekeepers, the streaming business etc. Just like small businesses are more agile and innovative unlike the behemoth-like corporations they take on, thus artists need to come up with a way of making their voices heard.

You are entitled to nothing. I'm a musician myself. Do I expect to reap millions off the album I'm making? No, because I have a family, a day job, and to me it's a hobby. Probably, just like you Paul. Unless you are prepared to work hard like Bowie, writing material on the way between gig and the hotel, expect nothing. Always expect nothing, and you'll get pleasantly surprised.

Internet piracy? Well, there''s only so much you can do. Vinnie's guild-like approach similar to what actors did would be one way. But in my opinion, just like artists of various sort in the centuries before us, we either work hard and get discovered, endorsed, and become a part of the folk consciousness or you'll be sentenced to the fringes. How to get discovered? Innovate. How to do it? I have absolutely no idea. That's why it's so difficult probably. But I think the old model of being 'a musician' needs to be reimagined.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:46 pm

electrizer wrote:
You are entitled to nothing.

I honestly think you just don't understand the root of the issue. More music is being enjoyed by more people than at any time in history. More money is being generated as a result; Much more than at any time in history. Yet musicians are getting less, MUCH less than at any time in history.

This is not about getting discovered, or endorsed, or selling t-shirts, or setting up a virtual begging bowl with Pledgemusic. And working hard is important, but has nothing to do with this at all. This is about forcing very powerful entities to STOP profiting from illegal activity and getting the actual creators/artists the money they are entitled to.

I never said that I deserve to make a living solely from music. Been there, done that. I'm no longer willing to make the sacrifices or compromises it requires. When I do release music, I expect to control how it is distributed. No one else has the right, legally or otherwise.

Also, the results of that "study" are pretty silly. You can't prove something by showing that you were unable to prove something else.

Return to “Drumming Chat”