Home recording

Rudy_Ment

Home recording

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi guys. I've been messing around with microphones and stuff on my acoustic kit and really enjoying the process. That is, when my neighbours don't complain :)

I just bought a Zoom Q8 and am using its built in stereo mics as sort of room mics. I've connected two mics into my little mixer and two output leads from the mixer into the two XLRs of the Q8. The only reason I'm not connecting the mics direct to Q8 is because I need to feed backing tracks into the Q8 as well.

I'm doing all this without any software, no DAW, as I don't currently have a PC. I'm just using what limited EQ knobs there are on my behringer mixer plus the basic mixer built into the Q8. But I'm obviously not expecting the best sound, just something decent.

I'm recording in my kitchen which is a very live room, a little harsh sounding with a lot of wall reflections. But I think I'm starting getting to get a decent sound and am interested in your thoughts. The hardest thing I'm finding is getting a good kick drum sound, particularly with no means of post processing. I guess I need a proper bass drum mic. I had a Unidyne 3 in front of the bass drum resonant which gave me some low end but no definition. Today I put a PZM right inside and slackened the batter head. Hi-hat and tom just picked up by the Zoom built in mics but I'll need to find a better spot to place the camera to pick up 2nd tom, ride and floor tom when I add them. Any feedback appreciated.

This was yesterday. Just snare & kick. Unidyne 3 in front of kick.
First close mics only, then with Zoom mics on as well, then a few seconds testing with song. I think the bass drum is a bit lost during the song. At the end, I tested to see how the compression switch on the Zoom would do. It's just on or off, no adjustments that I can see. But it creates horrible swooshing sounds. So I guess I won't bother with it.

This is from today with hi-hat and one tom added. PZM in the bass drum.
Bass drum seems to have clarity on the second video but again is lost on the first. Would it be better to have that backing track lower to compensate?

No drums no life, know drums know life...
Jim Richman

Re: Home recording

Postby Jim Richman » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Yes I was going to suggest lowering the backing track a couple of DB.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:17 pm

Sounds great, man... :mrgreen:
"two output leads from the mixer into the two XLRs of the Q8..." be sure to set them as line inputs (otherwise you´ll be going through the preamp circuit again) (maybe that´s why the compressor is pumping that much?) I´d experiment with mic placement, but sounds good already...
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks Julian. :•) You might have a point there about the compression and line inputs. I believe the inputs on the Q8 should automatically switch as they're designed as XLR/TRS inputs, but I just noticed that my two output leads have one black ring, but that TRS leads have two black rings. Mine are apparently TS leads. So I'm wondering if that would make any significant difference to whether my Q8 is actually switching to line in. But then again, songs are playing fine so I don't know.

According to this article, https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... rs-cables/

"TS cables are generally used for mono, unbalanced signals. These are most commonly used with electric guitars.

TRS cables can be used for mono, balanced signals as well as stereo signals.
An example of a mono, balanced signal would be the line in or out from your audio interface."
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:31 pm

I'm going to be unpopular for saying this, but I thought this was meant to be a friendly drum community where drummers help other drummers out. Apart from Jim and Julian, noone ever seems to respond to anything I post, particularly for help. I just don't fucking get it. It would have been nice to have some conversation going.
I remember the days when there'd be lots of replies to people wanting help or feedback. Never mind eh, I'm not even gonna bother anymore. Back to posting random videos and talking about Jeff Porcaro. No wonder hardly anyone posts here anymore :roll:
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:16 pm

Hey Rudy,

Sounds good! I don't come on here much anymore either. I would suggest the gearslutz forum for some engineering/production feedback. They have a much larger community to draw from anyway. Just don't get caught up in any gear discussions. You'll soon find all your credit cards maxed out and wondering what the justification was in the first place. Continue putting your heart and soul into the music/performance and that will come through no matter what equipment you're using. Take care...
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:46 pm

Yeah gearsluts will tell you need new convertors and a real set of preamps and mics haha..

What you have sounds great,, just drop the backing tracks a bit. and turn up the kick as well.

Ts is a mono signal..
Trs is a stereo signal or mono signal at twice the db.

The compression is mic gain input related so unless you reduce the mic sensitivity alot lower you will get the pumping..
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:40 am

:oops: Sorry for my little outburst the other day. Was tired and irritable.
Thanks cjbdrm and Chris. Yes, you're right about gearslutz, lol.
Interesting about TRS, didn't know it doubles the dB. But I guess I should get a couple anyway.

I've messed around again with the kick mic. It's not a dedicated bass drum mic, just one of those old radio shack flat black square PZM things from the 1980s. Does a surprisingly decent job I think. I think it's a bit louder now? I also realised I'd recorded the backing track in mono in that mic test video, I'd forgotten to enable stereolink on the Q8.

But I'm going to invest in a proper 8 channel interface and a drum mic kit, do it with a DAW and be able to do some proper post processing. The Presonus 1818VSL has been recommended to me. And a drum mic kit like the Samson Q5, (but probably still keeping the SM57 on snare) and probably a pair of Behringer C2 pencil condensers for overheads. Kind of budget stuff but should be good enough for my purposes. It's mostly to get the toms and ride to be heard.

But here's what I've got now and is as good as I can make it. Really wish I had a drier room though. This has shown me just how important a treated room is for recording. I envy you Chris, your drums always sound amazing in your studio. *thumbsup*

Edit: this is a newer version with a bit of compression
Last edited by Rudy_Ment on Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:42 pm

Considering what you're working with I'd say that last mix is pretty spot on. It's actually good to start with this kind of setup because if you get more mics you'll really use them with scrutiny. Plus you'll appreciate the punch and low end you'll get from a BD mic.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:42 am

Thanks Steve. Yeah, I totally agree with you, and it's a learning curve for sure. More mics and proper EQ, compression, etc will help. I'd like to be able to get a warmer and drier sound. I think recording in my kitchen will hold me back as it just doesn't have the right acoustics to make the drums sound properly blended and cohesive with a backing track that was recorded in a well treated dry sounding studio. Hmm, but if I could set up the drums in my front room, that would make the world of difference.

Return to “Drumming Chat”