Assorted videos / YouTube thread

Rudy_Ment

Re: Assorted videos / YouTube thread

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:51 pm

This is a cool documentary. There's no end to this guys genius. How does one human being have the ability to compose brilliantly, play almost every instrument - brilliantly, sing really well, produce professional looking cinematic videos from home superimposing himself multiple times, understand the most complex things in music, communicate and educate like he's been on the planet for 60 years, be super confident talking to an audience and totally adored by musicians around the world. He's like a present day Zappa. He seemingly has no weaknesses and has wisdom, integrity and insight way, way beyond his years, it's quite astounding. It's inspiring but makes you feel two inches tall at the same time! : D

No drums no life, know drums know life...
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Kiki Ferrer

With JERRY GONZALEZ Y EL COMANDO DE LA CLAVE
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:59 pm

Some real nice "YEAH!!!" moments here!

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:20 pm

Beyond hip... Bruner and Tony Austin killing it...

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:52 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Beyond hip...

I'm curious to know what you found "hip" about that. Also, if you really found it that "hip", did you purchase their latest music? If not, how far beyond hip would it need to be?
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:13 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Julián Fernández wrote:Beyond hip...

I'm curious to know what you found "hip" about that. Also, if you really found it that "hip", did you purchase their latest music? If not, how far beyond hip would it need to be?

haha, ok... Really dug the interplay between both drummers. Pocket was deep through the whole thing. Piano solo was spot on. Singer too...
Just found about this band, so no, I didn´t buy their music... I do just bought and Eldar album (with Terreon Gully). Can I go now, officer? :mrgreen:
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:56 pm

dupe...
Last edited by Paul Marangoni on Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:57 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Can I go now, officer? :mrgreen:

I wasn't being facetious. I was curious because I saw them live and the music did nothing for me. A lot of great playing, but the music was just a big jam over pedal tones for the most part. More of a spectacle than inspired composition. A lot of wanking over the top of one or two chords, for over ten minutes. And we wonder why people don't listen to jazz anymore. I have the same reaction to Snarky Puppy (sort of).

I did get to see Herbie Hancock live, and that music was just beyond words. One of the best concerts I've ever witnessed (although the sax playing was a bit lacking).
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote: lot of great playing, but the music was just a big jam over pedal tones for the most part.

That´s the definition of funk or Modal jazz for that matter... To each his own I guess... :mrgreen:
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:53 am

Julián Fernández wrote:
That´s the definition of funk or Modal jazz for that matter... To each his own I guess... :mrgreen:

Although funk and jazz can definitely make use of pedal tones, it's definitely not a common approach, nor would it qualify as being definitive of the genres. It's very, very difficult to craft interesting music without more harmonic movement. Although they are making some use of contrast and tension and release, it's just not enough. You can almost sense the musicians trying desperately to pull something out of it, but the composition isn't there.

Return to “Drumming Chat”