SIMON PHILLIPS - The thread about Simon

Paul Marangoni

Re: SIMON PHILLIPS - The thread about Simon

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:10 pm

langmick wrote:Let’s remember that 200K in CA is not the same as it is valued in the midwest. It seems to me to be a modest amount actually.

That depends what the money is for. A modest amount to cover the expense of what? Lost income? Mortgage payments? Car loans? Medical bills? I just find it very strange that there are no details.
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:48 pm

I understand that, for sure. I don't know Simon or his living situation, or how wealthy or not he is.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:49 pm

https://www.musicproinsurance.com/pages ... alCoverage

https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/a ... ting-Story
For a complete story that covers everything your readers will want to know, we recommend including the following:
•Introduce who or what are you’re raising money for. If not for yourself, how do you know the person you’re raising funds for? This is where you want to make a personal connection with your donors.
•An overview of what happened (or, your cause).
How the money will be spent. We recommend getting specific, and sharing the costs associated with your goal. Donors appreciate being in the loop about where their funds are going.
•Why this cause means so much to you.
•Share your gratitude and appreciation that the reader is considering sharing or donating to your GoFundMe.
•Let the reader know how to share your GoFundMe. For example:“To help me get the word out, you can share my link to your Facebook Timeline!”
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:04 pm

There ya go.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Riddim

Postby Riddim » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:If he doesn't have insurance he should just say so, or at least say why he needs the money (medical reasons, offset tour costs, temporary housing, etc.) $200,000 is a LOT of money.

California has been declared a disaster area which frees up funds for relief along with FEMA.

What an incredibly callous response.

Have you ever lost a house? Have you ever had to cancel a tour? Clearly you have no concept of the issues that might cross one's mind when faced with these scenarios.

It takes a minute or 300 to money out of insurance companies. I believe part of the reason for the fund was to alleviate uncertainty as to when and how much insurance might be available.

In the meantime, there are day to day living expenses and the need to pay off his crew for the 10 or so gigs they missed.

God forbid you should ever suffer the loss of your house and studio while out on the road.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:46 pm

Riddim wrote:What an incredibly callous response.

Have you ever lost a house? Have you ever had to cancel a tour? Clearly you have no concept of the issues that might cross one's mind when faced with these scenarios.

I've never lost a house, no. Actually, scratch that, I have lost a house... through divorce. Should I have created a gofundme campaign for that?

I'm sure Simon has many expenses that he has to deal with. Perhaps you have intimate knowledge of why he needs that money. Over 800 houses were lost in that fire. I have donated to a fund that helps everyone in the region. If Simon feels that his needs warrant extra attention, he should explain them. That's all I was saying.

And the link I posted was for anyone who feels like donating to victims of the fire.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:25 pm

Simon is what 60? Been in the business as a professional since the 70's?
His father was a professional musician.
If Simon doesn't deserve the benefit of doubt, well, nobody does!

Without playing Mod...let's 86 this conversation. Agree to disagree,
but a debate on what is ethical regarding Mr Phillips will not end well
at all.

Let each individual's convictions and feelings dictate a course...
I will err on compassion and faith that Simon is a man of integrity
and very trustworthy! Next time I see him it will be a hug, not a
lecture personally. ;)
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:31 pm

I think I understand where you're coming from, Paul. He didn't lose his house any more than anyone else there.

From my personal perspective, this is a guy who's has had a profound impact on my life. Not only has he played on, and/or produced some of my favourite albums; he's also done an amazing piece of work for education in drumming, while he has carried himself in a way that was generally inspiring.

I don't judge anyone who happens to not have that viewpoint of Simon, and who feel nothing special should be bestowed on him.
I applaud you for giving to the general fund, who spreads the donations among the affected residents.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:06 am

Well. At least he had a home.

Return to “Drumming Chat”