Julián Fernández

Re: DAVE WECKL - The thread about Dave

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:04 pm

Cool af
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:51 am

Oh yesssss, smooth as f.... :D
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
JonasR

Postby JonasR » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:56 am

Lessons in Love w. Weckl :-)
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:13 pm

The Burning for Buddy vid that Neil put together...Dave plays a little solo that is ridiculously sick. Neil has his commentary.

Dave at 23:36. https://youtu.be/CLrljzRxREM?t=23m38s

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:43 pm

Burning...

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:01 pm

I joined the Weckl online school - as a fan is great seeing all the footage. Beginner to intermediate players will find the footage helpful. Also if the section on setup and tuning is pretty useful as well. The closed facebook group is interesting - most of it is folks posting footage of themselves seeking feedback and Dave is pretty active on there.
I like supporting Dave but I'm not sure hoe long I'll stay subscribed. I think he needs an advanced section on there.

Probably going to see him tonight with Stern.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:06 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:
Probably going to see him tonight with Stern.

Saw the show a few nights ago. They played for about an hour and twenty minutes, and in that time, played FOUR tunes, interspersed with a bunch of soloing. I really wish they'd play more music and keep the wanking under control. Stern's catalog is massive.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:34 am

Yeah that's valid Paul. They're going to solo in the tunes anyways, just play tunes.
Also I think Tom Kenedy just discovered slapping his bass because he kept doing it, in some very odd places. It became funny. I don't recall doing that before.

I still had fun and Weck is always impressive. They played a slower tune with a brushes, straight 8 groove that I was very impressed by. People don't realize the science behind Dave's choices of how to double melody notes and what notes should be doubled to begin with. No one comes close to his orchestrating figures on the kit. Sure, big hits are obvious, but the slower more subtle stuff I find to be impressive. Splashing the hat, finessing the bigger cymbals for a sizzle effect. Where he choose to do that stuff I think is pretty deep and works so well. Try doing that stuff - it's challenging to know when to -much less how.

They played The Chicken and it occurred to me that Randy Brecker actually played with the Jaco big band on that tune - and there he was. I was kind of star struck to be honest. Plus that Brecker Brothers in Barcelona VHS tape (YES VHS GET SOME) was a game changer for me.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:47 am

Excellent feedback Steve...I'm still trying to process what you said!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:39 am

Very different from when I saw them. They played a lot of tunes. Lots of new tunes, some singing. Red House and Chromazone as encores.

Yeah. To muso Tom's solos, rake, rake, rake, slide to the top of the g-string... It gets ld and he overplays for sure, but for most of the crowd and a contrast to other things and the fact that the bass player got some space was probably refreshing.

Longest tune was the one where Dave played with his hands.

Return to “Drumming Chat”