Adler Method

bensdrums

Re: Adler Method

Postby bensdrums » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:37 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:I think it's more about how than what.

Keeping a log is always key. That way you easily see what you're working on and the connection with other stuff you do will be much more clear as well giving chart of progression that works over any length of time or daily effort. Is there a change in your playing?

There's also this strange thing where one sort of has to keep the same progression as a book suggests. When we've been playing a while we should be able to see the overlap and then augement or add to what we already do, not ivent the wheel.

However, it's sometimes nice to just choose something new and work on it. Having reached a certain level and wanting to focus on e.g. something purely technical can be a nice break a change of pace and something you now finally feel ready or motivated to do.

With SC you only have to 1-4 to see that there maybe could be a couple of lines more of doubles, right? That's just a start. After using that book for ages who cares what the initial intention was. Can things be adjusted to fit your current needs. Can it be used creatively? How does it connect sith other stuff you'r working on. Are there things not worth spending time on or should you spend more time on one exerccise than another even to the point of skiping some? Some manu books ae just different ways of doing the same thing.

Working through all of SC is one thing, but then the overlap for anyone with a bit of methodical experience is pretty big.

It's not the exercises that ae the problem, it's when it becomes mindless repetition one might wonder.

It takes just a little bit of creativity to make it work for other areas. To me it's especially useful to combine things and make longer pharses.

Techniquewise I really only work on things that don't flow which are aexosed when going through a whle page. I then isolate that. This way you also expose things that can be worked on at any time. It's about the mind as much as the hands disconnecting it from stick technique into something puely based on sound or coordination with just clapping and stomping etc. will generally have a positive effect.

I think this is probably in reply to a post I made in this thread but later deleted because I thought it veered too far off topic... which Pocket has kind of pointed out. I appreciate your comments though, they offer good insights and perspective.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:06 am

Thus far, all roads lead to Spivack and Wilson...but these NO tension purists
lack zest and power for me...I watched Dave DiCenso on Drumeo...
that is ZEST baby! Dude got such great game in every way!

Reinventing phase I am going through w/funk & jazz...

This is a 4 part series outlining the Spivack-Wilson method, but one of the
authors sharing videos makes me want to run for the hills--do NOT get
his playing in the slightest...he take no tension to the extreme, as in
HIT THE DRUM DUDE you are playing flutters with no definition!

Chad Wackerman, Louie Bellson, David Garibaldi, Walfredo Reyes Sr.,
and Jimmy Paxson (Vinnie went to Wilson in the late 80's), but Chad
and Garibaldi really seem to adhere strictly.

I would dig something like this on Adler...

http://www.kevincrabb.com/MD/Strictly_Technique.pdf

http://www.kevincrabb.com/MD/Strictly_Technique_P2.pdf

http://www.kevincrabb.com/MD/MD_ST3_0112.pdf

http://www.kevincrabb.com/MD/KC-RM_MD_ST_Article4.pdf

Jack Verga put out a book covering this...
http://www.cactusjack.com/Spivack.Wilso ... .Book.html
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:27 am

There is a 96 (I think) MD interview with Richard Wilson that was interesting...I might have that somewhere.

Teachers' Forum
Richard Wilson--Broadening the Limits
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:06 am

Dave Weckl covers hand technique a lot in his online school, and Steve Smith's recent Pathways in Motion is excellent for match grip techniques.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:51 am

Yeah - Weck does an extensive segment with Dom Famularo where they go over the names of the the various techniques and stroke. Definitwlyt worth at least one month's worth ($30)
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:18 am

Yeah. That video with Dom is the best part.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:39 am

bensdrums wrote:I think this is probably in reply to a post I made in this thread but later deleted because I thought it veered too far off topic... which Pocket has kind of pointed out. I appreciate your comments though, they offer good insights and perspective.

Yeah. Personally I am 90% teaching. In an effort to solve certain modern problems I have to be n top on every perspective.

Technique wise though, names of methods after people........... what is it really? Some different angles and different fulcrums. There are few neuances, though.

Mentioning Moeller as controversial is natural for me as it meets as much unvalidated criticism as trad grip for me. It used to be the main thing evey teacher I met wanted to talk about.

Why I play trad? It was also wrong, mainly due to me not holding way back on the stick which is weird and even more out the considering how front heavy my choice of stick is. Traditionalists really only know one thing, having only had one teacher themselves etc...

Same with Moeller. First off it's not a tool for every job, but doing it right and getting the power playing low that both e.g. Vinnie and Dave are prime examples of takes a while to get.

I do all sorts of weird things. Even Vinnie mentioned how to really get the left hand going is just playing open handed.

I go full lefty a lot now, even with the jazz stuff. It's not really any different than taking the independence/New Breed stuff another step. Playing that jazz ride for a few hourse, I can't imagine anything being better for my LH French grip than that. New sounds for each limb just loosens things up. Not just healthy physically for the variatung, but the ears, too. Would be nuts to spend much time on that before, but it actually makes sense. How it works with flow, balance, independence, makes one focus more aurally than physically, improves linear control etc........

It also works anywhere. Just hanging out, sitting on the couch doing some hands only independence with the ostinato in the left hand instead.

As for the extreme isolated technique stuff even Jojo said most of that physical work was really done on the tour bus. Not taking up valuable practice time, just taking advantage of what lends itself to each situation.

It's quite common for me to recommend to a student practicing new stickings and such anywhere.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:34 am

This was pretty insightful...

Rene

Postby Rene » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:02 pm

Pocketplayer wrote:This was pretty insightful...

Rene wrote:
But i think jojo's dvd explained the most.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:01 am

Agreed...Secret Weapons covers basically everything...Jojo is a freak...
discipline is off the charts...i liked this informal hotel room thing that
was real...sticks hit ea other, seemed more human than machine for once

for meeting Jim a few times, he really nails him...there is one 2 hour
teaching session with Jim and HS students that is drawn out but really
informative...dude cant teach worth shit, but the materiel is solid if you
can weed through the stories from 1948...actually humorous to see a
guy talk about the 40's like it was yesterday to 15 yos

Return to “Drumming Chat”