Gibson raid

Drumolator

Re: Gibson raid

Postby Drumolator » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:50 pm

DSOP wrote:
Drumolator wrote:I serves Gibson right for how they ruined Slingerland.

Ha! They didn't exactly "ruin" Slingerland, but you have a point. They definitely dropped the ball, and it's shameful. I actually emailed Gibson a few months ago asking them what was going on and what their plans were with Slingerland, and they replied that "they have no current plans".

You are right: it was more like the last nail in the coffin. I e-mailed Gibson about a year after they aquired Slingerland and fussed about no drums being produced. Peace and goodwill.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:39 pm

matthughen

Postby matthughen » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Funny to go back and read this thread. We know now Gibson has been poorly run for some time. The conspiracies about the gov't seem pretty silly given now that some time has passed.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:31 am

https://www.gearnews.com/gibson-sued-tr ... 50million/

The background here is that Henry Juszkiewicz wanted to innovate the Gibson guitar brand – in the vein of Apple computers, perhaps – leading to some controversial decisions about what the company thought guitarists needed. Whether it was his personal decision or not, the technology ended up on Gibson guitars like the Les Paul and the SG. Unfortunately, was that not many players wanted them in the first place and either avoided the guitars that came with them as standard or just removed them and fitted regular tuners instead.

Based in Hamburg, Germany, Tronical has now announced that is suing Gibson for $50 million and that the action has been pending before the Hamburg State Court since December 2017.

They haven’t discussed the case with the press yet at the time of writing, so we still do not know any of the details of the case, so stay posted for updates.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:50 am

"The background here is that Henry Juszkiewicz wanted to innovate the Gibson guitar brand – in the vein of Apple computers"

--I wonder what generation Henry stems from? The great temptation, especially today to stay "modern" and to pick a business model yet remain true to your brand. Starbucks tried this move years ago, it failed, and they ran back to their core brand. We are in a state of flux (music biz, TV, movies, retail outlets)...how to do business in this age of Internet and constant change. I do not think there has ever been a greater need for very defined "brand" than before. It is almost impossible to build brand today that will last more than a few years.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:06 am

Gibson shouldn't be hard to sell, but when any random 14 yo guitar player wants to have a discussion with his teacher about Gibson's quality control that should be a hint as where to look first.

There has been LP's sent from the factory with no frets. Another example was without frets from the 12th and up. Yeah! :o That's not even close to the end station, so one would think someone along the production line would notice and care. :roll:
langmick

Postby langmick » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:28 am

Sounds a little like what happened to Simmons drums...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed May 02, 2018 5:38 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri May 04, 2018 7:22 am

Good thing I'm a strat person.

Return to “Drumming Chat”