Starting a drum school

electrizer

Starting a drum school

Postby electrizer » Sat May 26, 2018 12:44 pm

Hello HOD,

Here's the question: you're an amateur, semi-advanced drummer with some performing under the belt. You have funds but no teaching experience. You want to start a local drum school and employ teachers.

Is it viable?
How do you prepare the curriculum?
Do you start small and in a private way or a franchise (e.g. Yamaha)?

Any help and suggestions are welcome! This has been a dream of mine for a long time and now I have the financial means to bring it to life but there's also a lot of doubt.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Starting a drum school

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat May 26, 2018 12:57 pm

electrizer wrote:Is it viable?

Yes. Providing there's a market(a small town probably won't work) and you have the will and patience.

electrizer wrote:Hello HOD,
How do you prepare the curriculum?

Experience aka the "trial and success method. Look at what other schools do. Schools you have gone to. Schools you've worked at.

electrizer wrote:Hello HOD,
Do you start small and in a private way or a franchise (e.g. Yamaha)?

Depends on opportunity, funds and what you're ready for.

Without teaching experience I realistically would't even try, but you can start small and see. I would, like for any other profession, work for others and gain experience first.

If you want to hear a real rant just ask someone like me about cleaning up the mess of unqualified teachers. It's more about attitude than papers, though. Is there a will to be good? A passion for education and helping others be the best they can be? It's way too demanding to be something one does just for the money.

What do you know now?

Do you have ideas based on your own experience as a student?
Last edited by Odd-Arne Oseberg on Sat May 26, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sat May 26, 2018 1:02 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Do you have experience and/or education in teaching and leadership?

electrizer wrote:Here's the question: you're an amateur, semi-advanced drummer with some performing under the belt. You have funds but no teaching experience. You want to start a local drum school and employ teachers.
percusski

Postby percusski » Sat May 26, 2018 1:20 pm

Hi Przemek how's it going? I remember you talking about this back in the UK.
I would say start small and gradully expand as things pick up. Throwing lots of money into the unknown doesn't generally yield results, although the right investment in any idea is crucial; advertising, branding etc. Reputation is something that speaks a thousand words and does take a while to earn.
Also do your market research, where is the best area to set up, is there competition, is there a big enough potential market, will you need more than one location, how can you be better than any competition etc.
Regarding a syllabus, this would depend on the level you're aiming at, bearing in mind beginner to intermediate is the biggest market.
It's a great idea but will take serious planning to be successful in my opinion!
Good luck though.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat May 26, 2018 1:26 pm

percusski wrote:Regarding a syllabus, this would depend on the level you're aiming at, bearing in mind beginner to intermediate is the biggest market.

Definetly. So you have to like working with kids. :D
percusski

Postby percusski » Sat May 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Not necessarily, I've got 3 beginners in their 70s and many adults starting as usual.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat May 26, 2018 2:14 pm

percusski wrote:Not necessarily, I've got 3 beginners in their 70s and many adults starting as usual.

For a private school that's surely true.

There's simply a lot of variales.

We adapt to various students and teaching scenarios.

There are priciples. There's processes to end up with things that work. There are factors that subjectively constitute a good practice.

There are certainly ideas that can be shared if you get more specific about your vision.

Like with any other thing. Willingness to evolve and review results objectively is pretty much the answer.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Thu May 31, 2018 2:24 am

Umm, well... Thank you all of two people who replied.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu May 31, 2018 4:06 am

I think that there is nothing better than a music school with good teachers, but, it seems to me that kids think they gonna find everything online ? Worse, they think they already know everything ?

Anyway, I wish you all the best and success, REALLY !!!
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu May 31, 2018 5:04 am

Rodge wrote:I think that there is nothing better than a music school with good teachers, but, it seems to me that kids think they gonna find everything online ? Worse, they think they already know everything ?

Yup. A good school structure. An environment that by nature as a collective tells how it is is the only way to influence that. That's lost many places for a variey of reasons, but it still works as well as ever if you're able to create that.

Return to “Drumming Chat”