Let's talk ELVIN!!!!

DSOP

Re: Let's talk ELVIN!!!!

Postby DSOP » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:55 am

What happened to the title of this topic? It was originally "EVLIN", and it got me thinking of my favorite weather girl - EVELYN TAFT!!! OMG she rules...

But yeah, Elvin is the king. Saw him live in the 80s. Can't get enough of this stuff.

Picked up a record he recorded shortly before he passed with Dave Holland and Bill Frisell which is very nice.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:39 pm

I was trying to explain to a young bass player just how elastic time can be. He said, "I thought there was only one kind of time -- locked in and perfect." I played him this song and the light bulb went on for him. Not that I can even approach being able to play so freaking far behind the pulse like Elvin. He's always been "swing" to me. That's the goal, IMO, the apex, the most exaggerated point of swing.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
smoggrocks

Postby smoggrocks » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:26 pm

elvin did a clinic here in nyc on 9/12/2001, the day after the big day. he truly was larger than life. said we needed to be together to hold each other up through music. what most impressed me was that he could sense the audience's bewilderment--it was a surreal day. after looking at everyone, he said to his bassist, 'just play a blues, man.' they did, and it changed the whole vibe and everyone settled in and for an hour, forgot that the world had changed. all thanks to that slow blues.

i asked him what the differences were btw'n playing with coltrane vs. miles, coz i'd read that miles was a stickler for detail and rehearsal. elvin kind of chuckled and said, 'well you know--miles was a thinker. and i don't like to think too much.'

i think that freedom is quite evident in his playing! i'm also a fan of his playing on 'the real mccoy'

wish i would've seen him in more live performances.
Preserve wildlife...throw a party.
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:28 am

I consider myself fortunate to have experienced Elvin live on several occasions...different "versions" of the Jazz Machine. Recorded performances, as great as they are, did not compare to being in the second row. OMG, the pure energy, soul and life that came out of those drums!!! And every time I saw him perform it was with such purpose yet joyful...that's the one thing that always stuck out...he looked like a little kid having an absolute riot!

It was always a bit funny when you'd get there early and there would be his wife, Keiko tuning the drums...she'd hit that 18" bass drum and everyone in the room would jump! You didn't expect that out of such a tiny person.
old_K_ride

Postby old_K_ride » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:49 am

so I was having some insulation pumped into my home a week ago. one of the 20somethingyearold dudes doing the job strolled thru my chief hallway lined with framed autographed photos adorning it .
I hear him say " wow ! Elton John ! " when he saw Elvin's autographed postcard photo taken in Boston , 1964 .
TR
cristaples

Postby cristaples » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:07 pm

Thanks guys! I've learned what to listen for, got my ipod loaded and a day of work tomorrow that can be used as a listening session.... great thread, maybe someone could offer up a classic player every month so those of us that are less informed can find out more, thank you!
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:41 am

treeinrock

Postby treeinrock » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:50 am

Let's not forget Elvin's brush playing. The most sublime poetic brush playing is on Tommy Flanagan Trio (Overseas) 1957. This record is all brushes!

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:40 pm

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:05 am

^^^ FUUUUUUUUUUUU that's so killing!

Return to “Drumming Chat”