Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

jem

Re: Can we just talk Gretsch drums a bit.

Postby jem » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:45 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:
So I guess 14" is classic, but 16" would be more versatile.

Not at all. The only benefit to the 16" depth is the ability to position the tom mount on the bass drum further away from the batter side. When it comes to sound and feel, 14" is what you want.

The real issue is the 18" bass drum itself. They're not for everyone. 20" is usually a better choice (also in a 14" depth).

Yes, good comments, agree. If you do all kinds of music, acoustic, jazz, pop, go for a 20x14. An 18" is "different", try a 16" tom as a kick to get a feel for it. 20x14 is my "to go" kick.

(Then there are players like Gadd that uses the same 22" for everything, as Vinnie, most of the time)
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:12 am

I'm getting them all. Just not all at once. 18 first for the small bop kit, 22 to complete the fusion 6-piece like the Catalina I have and then a 20.

I play 20s all the time at work, but 18s are usually when I go get lessons from some jazz cat. That's what they all play.
percusski

Postby percusski » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:49 am

What do you Gretsch aficionados make if the early 2000s Broadkaster kits with jasper shells and gunmetal hardware?
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:53 am

So, I gues I have some time to think about it. Turns out it should only take about 10 weeks to get an order.

Want to make this a priority now. Since work is not entirely secure long term I may wait a bit until I know and then do stage one and two at the same time.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:41 am

Sort of decided that it will 12/14/18. I'm gonna let my Catalinas be my other kit and then wait with the big shell bank.

Will use disposable income on a few darker jazzier cymbals, a 12" snare and little pieces of helpful hardware and hand percussion instead.

Thanks for everyone's input. :)
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:27 am

We've got Brooklyns and Catalina's at home. The 16" Catalina FT sounds really really good. Brooklyn kit really sings. 20" Brook kick is great
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:53 pm

sjj123 wrote:We've got Brooklyns and Catalina's at home. The 16" Catalina FT sounds really really good. Brooklyn kit really sings. 20" Brook kick is great

Catalinas get you in the ballpark without breaking your bank account, your heart or your back. I've impressed more than a few people with my bass drum.

Though I haven't got that much experience with them I sort of know USA Customs and Broadkasters are my deal. Sounds like QC at Gretsch these days is such that there's not much to worry about in that regard.

We're talking abou neuances that in many cases only drummers care about. No argument that that Gretsch drum mic up and record well, though.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:39 am

I'm not really able to borrow or rent my woodwinds anymore, so I've decided to get my own. Inexpensive sax and clarinet, but a flute needs to be of a certain standard to work. It's not abuot quality it's about have or not have, so...

Decided this weekend go go with a Renown bop kit. That's really the main thing. I need a small kit, well small kick really, but it's way more practical for me to have two kits. I should be able to get two pairs of die cast hoops to try out if I want to.

I know a full shellbank of USA Customs and close to the same in Broadkaster is the future deal. I'm just gonna hold off until economy is such that taking a loan is responsible or I can pay cash. Probably white wrap and antique pearl respectvely.

A darker sounding ride and probably Vinnie's 12x4 is next on the list.

Gonna put most of my money in a savings account and try to live a normal life while dealing with the legal crap.

If I can swing it, I'll take my first real vacation in a long while and go to Boston.
percusski

Postby percusski » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:12 am

Any of you Gretsch fanatics know whether there's much difference between current usa customs and the usa customs of 98/99 era, preferences?
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:11 pm

At this point, I doubt there's any real difference.

Aging might have an effect?

The real change at Gretsch is that you can get both 3- & 6-ply drums and that consistency and QC is better than ever. At least it seems to be that way.

Return to “Drumming Chat”