BENNY GREB - New videos

percusski

Re: BENNY GREB - New videos

Postby percusski » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:46 pm

Morgenthaler wrote:
thewikiman wrote:I love Benny, saw him play last month and he was very funny and relaxed, as well as very creative and skillful as a player.

I wish, wish, wish he'd do more as part of a major artist's project though, rather than just music through his own lens. I know he hasn't JUST done his own thing but an association with a major act, seeing how he intepreted their music, would be so good. Gadd has Simon & Farfunkel, Weckl has Chick Corea, Erskine has Weather Report, Omar has Madonna, Vinnie has Sting, Herbie etc etc etc - all those guys from the previous generation have had their playing and legacy partly defined by looking outwards and making something really cool in a more mainstream arena, as well as doing the more muso stuff so well.

Anyway I feel like Greb is truly something fresh in a world where it's sooo hard to genuinely move the game on.

As much as I love him (I've been a fan since I saw him live in 2002, when he was still Benjamin Greb) there's no comparison to Gadd, Vinnie or Weckl.
They each have distinctly unique personalities on the drumset and for that, they've been celebrated around the world for the last 4-5 decades.

You're absolutely right there, there's not even the slightest comparison, and that goes for nearly all of the new pretenders these days, style over substance. They've got all the Instagram bullshit going on and the big company promotion but nothing to say imo.
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:40 am

percusski wrote:new pretenders these days, style over substance.

Is that still about Benny? I agree that the culture has changed because of YouTube etc etc, but I think he's got enough facility to stand apart from 98% of the new breed of drumming these days. He's got a good thing going, an maybe he doesn't really need the big gig? You guys ever asked him that? :D It's like the YouTube comment section around here all of a sudden...
percusski

Postby percusski » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:12 pm

Yeah afraid so, i just don't get it at all.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:33 pm

What band would you like to see Benny play in?
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:29 am

electrizer wrote:
percusski wrote:new pretenders these days, style over substance.

Is that still about Benny? I agree that the culture has changed because of YouTube etc etc, but I think he's got enough facility to stand apart from 98% of the new breed of drumming these days. He's got a good thing going, an maybe he doesn't really need the big gig? You guys ever asked him that? :D It's like the YouTube comment section around here all of a sudden...

I agree 100%, Benny isn't in the same league as some of the big names, but he stands out from the crowd because of what he plays and what he teaches.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:29 am

bored at work wrote:Benny isn't in the same league as some of the big names

I bet the Buddy fans said the same thing when Gadd came along. :)
No drums no life, know drums know life...
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:09 am

I know the music business is not the same anymore, but who own a CD with Benny on drums ?

Anyway, I'm a HUGE fan of the Youtube's comments, crack me up most of the time, really !!! :D
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:52 am

Rodge wrote:I know the music business is not the same anymore, but who own a CD with Benny on drums ?

Correct, the music business has changed dramatically. Music "taste" has deteriorated dramatically too. Most music listened to by the masses doesn't even use real musicians (or instruments) anymore. The music that does use real musicians is created (for the most part) by editing and correcting performances such that they become devoid of personality.

I had tickets to see John Scofield (with Bill Stewart) last week, but was unable to attend. I gave my tickets to a friend and he told me that the venue was half empty. For JOHN SCOFIELD and BILL STEWART in Los Angeles!!!

People are just not interested in jazz, or instrumental rock, like they used to be. As for the great pop artists, who will take the place of Peter Gabriel, Joni Mitchell, Squeeze, Mr. Mister, Sting, Queen, Nik Kershaw, ELO, XTC, Kate Bush, and Steely Dan? Sure, some of these acts are still out there, waddling onto the stage, but the next generation of acts are pretty underwhelming when they're not outright derivations.

Benny Greb is a great drummer who is also very intelligent and thoughtful. We're all lucky to be able to listen to him and learn from him. We can do a lot worse, that's for sure.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:45 am

Well said Paul.

PS : Sco in LA with Bill, room half empty, damn... :o :-(
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:03 am

Rodge wrote:I know the music business is not the same anymore, but who own a CD with Benny on drums ?

Anyway, I'm a HUGE fan of the Youtube's comments, crack me up most of the time, really !!! :D

I do!

Return to “Drumming Chat”