I AM DRUMMER

Richie Jarvis

I AM DRUMMER

Postby Richie Jarvis » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:48 am

Hi all,

I seldom post on here and I am a little reluctant to post this little project of mine on here due to the caliber of players on this forum, but right now I say why not.

I mainly review snare drums as like most of us have a few in our arsenal and I have a small addiction for collecting them, starting to get more enquires from builders here in Australia and abroad.

The first year of videos was in my old factory that was a 320sqm meter box so the reverb really did me and the drums a lot of injustice. Now we have a new space and I hope it will grow a little more this year with new sponsors such as AUDIX and PRESONUS onboard but like all things it just comes down to money.

My playing isn't the best and neither is my sense of humour so please be kind.

Richie Jarvis

Re: I AM DRUMMER

Postby Richie Jarvis » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:50 am

willyz

Postby willyz » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:58 am

Get it, Richie!
Got Blushda?
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:02 am

Hi Richie,

My only criticism would be that the reverb makes it difficult to hear the total tone on the drums. There is significant air on the attack that interferes with the resonant tone of the drums. On a track or something this might not be an issue, maybe even a desired effect, but if you’re reviewing drums you might want their resonant tone to be more distinguishable in the audio mix.

Besides that, I dig it! DW finishes are always gorgeous.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:47 am

bensdrums wrote:Hi Richie,

My only criticism would be that the reverb makes it difficult to hear the total tone on the drums.

As he said in his original post:
The first year of videos was in my old factory that was a 320sqm meter box so the reverb really did me and the drums a lot of injustice.

I'm sure that the audio will be much improved going forward. As it stands now though, those DW sound pretty nice.

I'm not really one to be interested in video reviews of most music instruments; not beyond the manufacturer's own videos anyway. I think there is just way too much emphasis on equipment instead of actual music performances. And by music, I mean actual live music, with other musicians, as opposed to people soloing or playing along to backing tracks. Although both are useful for individual practice and improvement, it really should be a personal journey and not really worthy of sharing with the world. I've been guilty of that in the past too, and I found that I had to analyze my motives when doing so. Was I simply hoping to get my ego stroked? Searching for validation? I'm not sure.

Instructional videos which cover specific topics and break them down for study are wonderful. I can appreciate the amount of work involved. It's just too bad that Google is the clear winner in all cases.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:35 pm

Great job, Richie!
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:19 pm

IAD is cool! I´m a subscriber from day 1! :mrgreen:
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:38 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:I'm not really one to be interested in video reviews of most music instruments; not beyond the manufacturer's own videos anyway. I think there is just way too much emphasis on equipment instead of actual music performances. And by music, I mean actual live music, with other musicians, as opposed to people soloing or playing along to backing tracks. Although both are useful for individual practice and improvement, it really should be a personal journey and not really worthy of sharing with the world. I've been guilty of that in the past too, and I found that I had to analyze my motives when doing so. Was I simply hoping to get my ego stroked? Searching for validation? I'm not sure.

I hear you but for me, putting videos out there is just about having an end-product to work towards, because I'm NOT out there gigging all the time, and never will be. So posting a vid of playing along to song to Instagram is at least an output of my playing, and it's completing the loop of performance-meets-audience (albeit in an artificial way) because there's no audience in the practice room.

So I'm renting a room for 4 hours later in the month, with the aim to setting up the kit, and using the EAD10 to record some videos. Not becasue I think I'll get my ego stroked (that would be lovely - I love drums and drumming, so to have your playing validated feels good - but my playing isn't really of a high enough standard for that) but just because it's something to work towards, something to aim at, a nice reason to use all the gear that I love, etc. I can''t wait, I've been thinking about it loads.

If you had to ask 'is it worthy of sharing with the world' then if I'm being brutal with myself, probably not - but I'll still share it, because it's all part of helping me develop.

I really enjoy your channel Richie EXCEPT that my friend has a Yamaha Vinnie sig that he never uses anymore thanks to your expose on the lug problem!! Now he's too scared to tune it up and hit it :)
____
Ned
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:01 am

Though the exact subject matter isn't my cup of tea this is the way to get out there these days. I had a plan of doing it my way 6 years ago when I started my new job, but we all know what happened there. There's a reason I'm suing for the amounts I am. But yeah, my content would be about teaching and promoting my own products with just enough playing to ignite an interest.

I can't speak for anyone elses situation, what works for you and what values you ave to keep regardless. I've personally cleaned up my social media quite a bit now and I eventually will have only two outlets, my artist/teacher site and the more educational political site. It will wbe slow, but if I get compensated like I shuold it will be ten times faster.

I don't really play my Yamaha Vinnie Sig much now, but I sure did when I first got it. From the few pics I've seen it seems the man himself often brings it along on sessions, too. All those sig drums with these lugs had that issue, but honestly I've never seen them fail. As far as I know Erik's and Søren's signature drums are the same and they've been on the road gigging daily with those for 20 years now. Just play the danm thing. If something happens I'm sure it can be fixed well enough.

I definetly take very good care of my gear, but it's made to be used.

Keep it up.

I'd personally look a bit at camera angles and look a bit at pacing through editing.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:23 am

thewikiman wrote:I'm renting a room for 4 hours later in the month, with the aim to setting up the kit, and using the EAD10 to record some videos.

Cool, I'm curious to see what your results are with the EAD10. When you create your video, try using a few different presets on the EAD10.
I love mine, especially for practice, but I can't say I'm thrilled with how the bass drum trigger thing sounds. It doesn't quite pick up my last floor tom either.
You can hear how the bass drum sounds in these Yamaha videos too. It's not horrible, but not exactly natural:
All drum sound was recorded with Electronic Acoustic Drum Module EAD10.

Return to “Drumming Chat”