Another traditional grip question.

Phil T.

Re: Another traditional grip question.

Postby Phil T. » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:59 am

Matus wrote:That's the spirit! :)
Give it some time and Practice slow. Make sure your flams have enough space between the notes. Otherwise, they won't sound fat at all. Virgil's flams are a great example: the grace notes aren't really loud, but they are so ell placed it works anyway.

Thanks to you and JM for the help! I noticed the flams want to flatten out as the speed increases, so I'm paying attention to that. I want the bigger, wider flams.

FWIW, my favorite all-around stick is the Vic Firth SD 11 Slammer. Around 5A in size and weight with a teardrop tip that works well on cymbals and toms, as well as the snare.

And, further FWIW, if I can't do something with matched grip, that just means I need to work harder on matched grip technique. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our [grip], but in ourselves, that we are underlings." To quote the Bard. (Thanks, Google!)
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:57 am

Josiah wrote:
DSOP wrote:Why do you just make shit up like that? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Oh I am so sorry your holyness!!

It was Weckl that had shoulder surgery, 2 of them.

In the interest of disinformation control, I'd like to point out that this is also completely false.

As you were.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:17 pm

Lucas Ives wrote:
Josiah wrote:
DSOP wrote:Why do you just make shit up like that? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Oh I am so sorry your holyness!!

It was Weckl that had shoulder surgery, 2 of them.

In the interest of disinformation control, I'd like to point out that this is also completely false.

As you were.

He is a delusional narcissist. He has many personality disorders, and he writes in Latin. He thinks of things that other people never thought of. He sits on the top of the mountain with his tabla, looking down at all of us. He reads Nietzsche, and tells his students to check out HOD on his website so they can see what an exponential douchebag he is.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:30 am

I guess relaxing has made me ten times a better drummer. Thanks everybody! I'm always glad when I can spur the discussion and maybe get some insults flying! lol
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:04 am

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:19 am

I have difficulty watching videos sometimes so it's hard to make informed comments. Paul, what did you think of that video you posted?
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:29 am

You never know what potential legal issues there might be in the future, so I play it safe and practice both.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Steve Holmes wrote: Paul, what did you think of that video you posted?

I think he makes valid points, but I posted it here 'cause I figured a lot of people might be either just starting out, or considering one grip vs. the other. Personally, I think everyone should play what feels and works best for them. I know that traditional grip can cause physical problems for people's hands after years of playing that way. The argument that you think and play differently depending on your grip is valid, but I think and play differently simply by changing my heads or cymbal setup, or my clothes or haircut. You can play great music regardless of your grip. Just like you can suck either way too.

I find many of Nate's videos interesting, but at the same time, a lot of these types of videos can give people the wrong impression - i.e. that jazz drumming has many outlets or that jazz itself has a wide audience.

Return to “Drumming Chat”