Lightweight hardware. (DW, Yamaha, Gibraltar, Tama.)

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Lightweight hardware. (DW, Yamaha, Gibraltar, Tama.)

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:33 am

It's decided that there will a USA Custom in all sizes and 10,12,14,120 a Broadkaster at some point. Not determined exactly how that's happening yet, though. Either compensation, artist fund or a loan if I get more and steady work. We'll see.

Day to day life is not dependant on that right now. It's more about that Farmer kit I've been eyeing for a while and I need some light hardware for it. It will serve several different daily needs.

Here's a pic for reference.

I'm just after the bass drum and the toms I can nest inside it.

I remember someone here picked up the DW Ultralight hardware a while back. Only real criticism I've come across is that some find the snare stand a bit flimsy. The Crosstown cymbal stands aren't really an option as I don't think clamping the toms to aluminium would work too well, but I wouldn't really mind mixing up the brands. The DW could then be that lightweight pad stand I've been wanting and I could just add a Crosstown snare stand to it if that's a bit more dependable.

I know about Tama's Classic package, but being used to DW hats and pedals I'll probably stick to what I like.

I think with everything else being small, no double pedal etc.... placement with no boom will be fine. The Gibraltar stuff in the pick that seee to have an extra tilter might work better, though.

As I'm writing this I'm probably leaning towards the DW pack and maybe picking up a Crosstown snare stand, but would be interested in comments from people who have experience with them.
Julián Fernández

Re: Lightweight hardware. (DW, Yamaha, Gibraltar, Tama.)

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:43 am

I have the DW UL snare and cymbals stands. They´re cool. The snare stand is not meant for "heavy" snares. My Roy Haynes is way too heavy for it. Supraphonics/Acrolites work better.
The cymbal stand is great. Never had an issue with them...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Lightweight hardware. (DW, Yamaha, Gibraltar, Tama.)

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:56 pm

I'll probably just go with the DWs then. I see there are some new cymbal stands with short booms as well, so I might pick up a couple of those, too.

I don't really have any super heavy snares. My 4160 is probably the heaviest one.

Throwing one piece of regular weight hardware in the bag won't totally defeat the purpose either.

To tell the truth I have no idea what order I'll get other stuff in. I confuse myself every time it's an option to do so again. I'll get this pack though, as it makes sense, and then I'll try to not spend any money until after summer. All things going well I'll might be able to swing for half of that shellpack in August.

Return to “Drumming Chat”