FALL 2019 WEEKEND CHATTY

langmick

FALL 2019 WEEKEND CHATTY

Postby langmick » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:25 pm

Well, haven't seen one in a while so here we go. Odd are you out there! :)

With the reported demise of TOTO upon us...heard this Bonnie Raitt tune recently and I think it's the best rock playing I've ever heard. He was so subtle but powerful for the intro, every measure he's right there. Hard to bridge those two..

Caught Steve Hackett the other night. I was really blown aways, thought Craig Blundell was rushing too much, but he was spot on the whole night, and brought the energy big time. Phenomenal show, and Steve is close to 70. Recommend catching the band. He's coming back tot he US next year.

These vids came up in my feed the other day. Rodney was hilarious, and no swearing.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MecU2keW54I&t=587s[/youtube]

Johnny was the best.

I had some weird carpal tunnel nerve stuff happening recently...it's luckily subsided, had some tennis elbow at the same time, got that dealt with through manipulation, maybe the two were linked. Started practicing again without issue.

Have a great weekend!
Pocketplayer

Re: FALL 2019 WEEKEND CHATTY

Postby Pocketplayer » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:00 am

Lang...you want more subtle power this TOTO release on Past to Present Best Of
is epic Jeff...talk about building a groove...these were always the hardest to play
when I was younger...I didnt know what to do with all the space...light touch was
not there (using lighter sticks didnt help lol)...we also get the classic TOTO "Oh Ohs"
his fills are perfection

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:02 am

Oh, I'm around. :D I check in most days to see if there's anything new.

Nothing new or exciting. Just getting used to my new job and new surroundings. I guess there are people who have it worse, but I wouldn't mind a bit of stability. Just trying to organize my workplace and semi-permanent home and then I go visit my folks every 2-3 weeks.

I guess I actually practice quite a bit, but it's 90% on my practice kit.

Got my Black Hole about 3 weeks ago. It's mainly to check it out before I ask to get a whole set for work. The Xymox is still the pad I prefer to use in the snare position for general practice. The Reflexx is great when I want to do some conditioning in the rack position and if I want more natural rebound I switch it out for the Super-Pad. The Little Moongel pad is great and my main mobile option now. I'll probably get a couple more and with those light Evans pad stands I think they're a really great flexible option. Small, lightweight and cheap, too. I switch things around, but with 2 or 3 of those Moongel pads I can practice movement, which is important and it's super quiet, as well. At this point in the game it's very useful tool. I'm not worried about my technique and that extra bit of conditioning I feel does a lot of good.

These days I'm focusing on tweaking my hiking setup a bit. Life can't just be drum practice and what should be unnecessary legal stuff.

Got my self a new backback which is definetly about time. I've had my old 65L that really started falling apart the day I got it 20 years ago and my Mom's 55L forever. I got a Fjällreven Kajka 75 which should work well for most things and when I know exactly what I need for going light I'll pick up something smaller, as well. Just got it two days ago, so don't have any experience with it, but it feels comfortable and seems built to last a lifetime.

A titanium version of the original 5" Firebox should be on the way pretty soon.

That's how my little apartment is. "Livingroom" is just practice kit and workout area. "Bedroom" is experimental indoor campsite and outdoor equipment storage. Everything that isn't used daily is stored at my folks' place. I'm there right now and most of my spare time here is used to organise my stuff and help my Dad with his building projects to make my Mom's quality of life as good possible.

Drum and music stuff is what it is.

The final deadline I've set for everyone if they want to settle out of court is November 1st., so that's 6 days from now. It's not like I'm gonna drop this huge bomb then. I will simply know and hopefully before Christmas I'll have the most important things in motion. I have to do most things myself, so that means I have to wait until I feel I'm up for it. Though they won't tell me anything and they try to keep things from coming out I can see symptoms all the time. The truth really doesn't need much help. Sooner or later everyone knows. At this point I didn't expect to have anything new to add to my case, but here we are.

Nothing wrong with the drumming on Out of Love, but I think the Toto guys probably try to forget they ever met Jean. Though I can remember similar things from my own short musician life, never have I seen anyone in a big name band look and sound more out of place. It's like replacing Robert Plant with George Michael. I think that's pretty much exactly how Luke felt about the situation, too.

I'm going to the thing with Erik Smith and Søren Frost this year as well. It's in four weeks. It's more or less the same guys every time. I've made some new friends and for the guys that are on a bit higher level it serves as a bit of networking, too. I'll probably bring the full kit this time.

Not listening to anything particular at the moment. Got the Superheroes CD in my car.

I'll probably check out some of Gary Husband's lessons soon.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:32 am

Gonna play Call of Duty Modern Warefare today. Came out yesterday. If the game gets to intense can always play GEARS 5.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:20 pm

Call of Duty Modern Warefare...umm, I played Pong and Tank as a kid!
I am as illiterate a 'gamer' as it gets! lol

The TOTO & Jean thing is old...I just focus on the song...I liked him actually
and saw him with TOTO on one of Jeff's last performances...Luke no like
the guy however.

So how do you like the Reflexx pad? I still need a good pad that sits on a
literal desktop, easy to carry to motel rooms, etc. I am surprised how few
pads are on Clist these days. If you were closer I'd just buy one of your pads
but shipping would cost more than the pad! lol

I feel like Steve back in HS these days...all hands on pad work. It is very
interesting to me how my hands have changed without a kit...why just playing
with hands makes a difficult "to kit" transition ergonomically. When I focus on
hands so much, each finger rises up to salute differently than before...so much
concentration on this body part. I've used the Scott Johnson monster stick
with my Vators, alternating into a workout routine which has been interesting
as well. I almost have more control with the Johnsons and find it challenging
to adjust to the lighter/smaller stick. For some reason a recent T Lang video
on Drumeo influenced me when he said he used mainly all wrists.

I REALLY liked the posted Carter Mclean vid in Assrt'd vids...lot of Porcaro
in that boy! At 55 min he does a finger SS roll blast that is silly and holds it
as an example of what is musically terrible...funny...for a guy that is SO
groove and feel oriented he just lets loose this flurry of speed...like driving
a Crown Vic Police Interceptor (2008 lol) modded out and hitting the gas
or better yet, a drive in a friend's Tesla! You ever drive in one of those cars
and your buddy hits the accelerator? G-force stuff happening here!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Pocketplayer wrote:
So how do you like the Reflexx pad? I still need a good pad that sits on a
literal desktop, easy to carry to motel rooms, etc.

Well, I have gone a bit far with pads. :lol:

Anyway.

The Reflexx pad was made to be something inbetween. I think the main thing for many is simply that you can bring it on a gig, put it on your snare and warm up quietly. It is very quiet.

People have different hands and technique, but to me the harder(WORKK) surface is what I use most and I wouldn't mind having only that and have a thread on the other side. It is a workout surface, works best with wrists for me and is pretty close to the grey "floor tom" pad on a P4. Slightly thicker, so slightly more absorbant.

The soft and thicker(FLEXX) surface is something I just use for fingers or for a little healthy variation in the way you use your muscles. I don't really use it much except for finger control. Soft and bouncy.

Generally, it's either the Xymox of Moongel for me. Moongel on the cheap Evans stand is really what I'd recommend for conditioning and wrist development. Only issue is that I can't get it quite low enough for traditional grip when sitting on a regular chair.

Yeah, I guess I focus a lot on wrists now, too. I also picked up on Tony Williams saying all the good ones mainly gripped the stick in the back of the hand. I've sort just kept it in mind. In any case, the setup and way I work now doesn't hurt my reglar kit playing. Working on the moongel helps a lot. It's all about control and having to lift a bit, just like why Alan Dawson recommended practicing the ritual with brushes.

Because of the control I've developed I don't feel quite as bad playing a regular rubber pad sometimes, but I'd never develop this in that way. At least I've found something that works since I can't play a regular kit all the time.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:25 am

This is new to me. Duke and Elvin. Interesting experience.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:19 am

On the drumming side of things, I got this in the mail today.

Today's one pan meal.

Got quite interested in a product called the Trailstar. Basically, a tarp/fly product that makes it possible to go tarp + bivy style above the tree line in places like where I'm from.

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:48 pm

Kurt - how did you like Modern Warfare?
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:06 am

I remember catching Danny Gottlieb back when there were drum clinics go through a bunch of New Breed exercises. He had that stuff down. He stressed singing downbeats and melodies as a way to build the internal clock. Getting to his level would be pretty hard!

Return to “Drumming Chat”