The Vinnie Colaiuta/Discogs Spotify Playlist

bored at work

The Vinnie Colaiuta/Discogs Spotify Playlist

Postby bored at work » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:41 am

I mentioned this before, probably in the Vinnie thread, but I have been working on a reasonably comprehensive Vinnie playlist on Spotify. I've only done it on Spotify because that's the streaming service that I use, I don't have iTunes or Tidal or any of the others.

I decided to do it, partly out of lockdown boredom, but also because one of the other Vinnie playlists on Spotify was just so bad, containing tracks that featured other drummers. So I decided to have a go. I used Discogs because they credit a lot of individual tracks on albums with specific players. Sadly there is a lot of music that Vinnie is credited for that isn't on Spotify. But so far I'm up to 138+ hours of music and over 1600 tracks. I'm about two thirds through the Discogs credit list and I added a massive chunk to the list today.

So here it is https://open.spotify.com/playlist/24BAoiBstb8faF4jnchxlx?si=f0zBTbbDRziYPrSVUDK8jw

I have only added tracks that I know Vinnie is credited for. There are some albums were he is credited along with other drummers, without specific track references and I haven't added those albums. I haven't got time to go through an album trying to work out what track is Vinnie on, particularly on something like an album score.

If you notice any glaring omissions or you have any suggestions then please let me know and I'll add them. But please make sure, if you make a suggestion that it is on Spotify first.

Let me know what you think.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: The Vinnie Colaiuta/Discogs Spotify Playlist

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:19 pm

I'll definetly use the list to find some new stuff.

I don't have my cds handy atm, so I'm not completely sure, but I seem to remember that "This War" is Manu.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:03 pm

Cool - thanks! I'm using Amazon these days (I find the fidelity noticeably better than Spotify) but just seeing this list is super cool.
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:18 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:I'll definetly use the list to find some new stuff.

I don't have my cds handy atm, so I'm not completely sure, but I seem to remember that "This War" is Manu.

That is right. Katche' was on the majority of the album. Colaiuta played on "Inside", "Dead Man's Rope" and "Like A Beautiful Smile" ( track included on the international edition )
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:13 am

Thanks for your feedback. To be honest, there weren't individual credits for that album and I thought that Vinnie had played on that particular track. I haven't really listened to that album much, at that point my heart was not in Sting's music.

I've made the changes to the playlist and added those other tracks.

One observation after listening to most of those tracks, Vinnie always gets a great cross stick sound!
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:32 am

I just remembered, first because I actually have a physical CD somewhere and that I looked it up when I took that tune to ensemble class many years ago.
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:57 pm

Vinnie's cross stick is king! It's always in the sweet pot.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:11 am

Yeah, and his sound is unique, it's like you can recognise Vinnie just by the sound of his cross stick !!! :o
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”