VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:43 am

Paul Marangoni wrote:
Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Why isn't it allowed to have a different opinion and perspective than the main stream media?

Some "opinions" can lead to disastrous results.

The disastrous results generally come when independent though is discouraged.

Who should decide what we're allowed to think?

In my line of work the disastrous results are already there and my method of "fixing" things is to a great degree giving students enough knowledge, insight, perspective, stimulation and a safe space to make their own informed decisions. A lot of people don't like that.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:35 pm

shit yeah....
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:39 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:I'm OK with "X person said Y. Here is why I agree or disagree."
I'm not OK with getting personal or insulting each other.
So far so good.

Vinnie tweets a lot of animated gifs making fun of the president, or other stories he disagrees with. To me it's a bit disappointing but that's who he is apparently. It's very common as one gets older (respectfully).
It speaks for itself.

My take these days - generally speaking - is despite the amount of information available, it's even harder to really KNOW the specifics about any hot topic. To speak as if one KNOWS about something as complicated national or international political matters is just pretentious. To further judge, as if one knows BETTER is where the wheels really come off for me. Show some humility. It's possible one does not know all the facts.
It's fine having an opinion, but the personal attacking and mocking of authority figures because all the internet sources I surround myself with make me feel like it's ok to do so is just adolescent.

Steve, do we now have a green light for HODers to start debating non-drumming topics? Politics? Vax vs Non-Vax opinions? Evidence of information manipulation and bias in the media? Etc.. Etc... I thought it was a no-no around here... :)

How about having an open chat directly with Vinnie and give him a chance to respond back might be a good idea... Who knows, maybe he'd have you on his podcast to talk Drums and other peculiar topics... ;)
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:46 pm

1) It's only politics if you make it into politics.

2) Why would Vinnie care what we think?
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:01 pm

" start debating non-drumming topics?"
I feel like the quarantine chatty is fine for that.
And again if it occurs else where in a civil and respectful fashion then I'm ok with it (pending my mood).
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:33 pm

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:
The disastrous results generally come when independent though is discouraged.

Who should decide what we're allowed to think?

I don't see how independent thought has been discouraged, or if anyone has been told what they're allowed to think. If a platform decides to let people display any sort of message/idea without any sort of filtering, it's their prerogative. Someone who has ideas or thoughts that might not make it through those filters is free to build their own site or run their own platform.

There are plenty of things going on behind closed doors around the world that we are not privy to. With the current lack of progress against climate change, I don't think things are going to get better. It's really just a question of wondering how fast things will get worse.

With the demise of local and national newspapers, and the need to attract viewers, it's pretty much a given that shock value is driving the output of cable news and social media and reaching more eyeballs/ears.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:17 pm

Viruses can embed their chunks of genetic material in our DNA. the human genome is a evolving sequence evolution. The planet is covered in bacteria and virus. All the colds and viruses you encounter though out ones life your DNA adapts. The RNA program is also evolving.

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:32 pm

Left hand cymbal building while playing the cool right handed fill.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:06 am

Yep, always loved when he does that, such a cool effect, great nuance.

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:20 pm

amazing stuff.

Return to “Drumming Chat”