Dave Elitch

deseipel

Re: Dave Elitch

Postby deseipel » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:48 am

is Mars Volta some sort of new genre where the drums blow over the tune? It's about time.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:10 am

Awesome playing Dave! The energy level is nuts!
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Incredible Playing and Incredible power!! My god man I hope that was the last song of that Mars Volta set....I also enjoy watching the youtube shed flicks..esp you and Bruner..You kill the four pc kit.
There is nothing left to say.
Jeremy Smirnoff

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:48 am

Jesus, Dave. I don't think I have seen anyone hit that hard! :) How do you not destroy heads and cymbals? Like your playing a lot, but makes me wonder... Do you ACTUALLY hit as hard as it looks, or is it more of a showmanship stage kinda thing where it just LOOKS a certain way?
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff
Dave Elitch

Postby Dave Elitch » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:24 am

Thanks a lot for all the kind words guys! That clip of Goliath in Sydney was pretty brutal because it was also damn near 120 degrees and 100% humidity! The sets w Volta were usually 2.5 hours, but since that was a festival show, it was only an hour set, so at least I had that in my favor! haha!

Jeremy - I do tend to hit really hard when I'm playing heavier music. ( Ask Steve! :D ) There's parts of that vid where I'm hitting as hard as I physically can. I think that the drums ( NOT cymbals!) sound better, the harder that you hit them - especially the snare drum. I'm using a DW cast steel snare in that vid and those can really take a thrashing. It's really my left hand that's doing most of the "bashing" - my right hand is much softer on the cymbals. I obviously don't play like that all the time - mostly just in a live setting with heavier rock bands. I also do it because i like watching drummers who really put on a show when they play live. ( Morgan Rose, Shannon Larkin, Tommy Aldridge, Dino Campanella) A show is supposed to be visually entertaining as well as sonically, so I take that into consideration for sure. If nothing else- it's a good way to check out some Moeller in action! ;)

Cheers guys!

D
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:28 am

Nice to have you onboard Dave!

Are you still playing with the guys from TMV?
What´s the most challenging thing about that particular gig?
Jeremy Smirnoff

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:22 pm

Cool. Thanks for the insight! ;) I used to hit really hard about 12 years ago, but between studying with Mangini and watching the Peart/Gruber stuff about playing off the drum and not through it, I have all but abandoned that. Certainly entertaining for the kids in audience, though! ;) Cheers! Best wishes.
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff
Dave Elitch

Postby Dave Elitch » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:32 pm

Hey Julian -

I'm no longer playing w The Mars Volta. Deantoni Parks is playing with them again - he's amazing and I wish them the best of luck....The hardest thing for me about that gig was probably all the improvising because it had been so long since I'd been in a situation that called for that. I was also very conscious of not over playing and making everything gel as much as possible....

Cheers

D
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:12 am

Julián Fernández wrote:Nice to have you onboard Dave!

+1 !!!
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:44 am

Dave with Juliette Lewis (2010) >>>

Return to “Drumming Chat”