Thomas Pridgen

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Re: Thomas Pridgen

Postby Steve Holmes » Sun May 08, 2011 9:53 pm

I've never heard a DW tom that sounded good. Kick and snares sound great, toms, not so much. I don't care WHO is playing them.

Side note: The only DW kit I heard that sounded OK was Frank Briggs' kit..let's ask him about his DW kit...oh wait he switched to Yamaha.
:|
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Tue May 10, 2011 3:32 am

Steve Holmes wrote:I've never heard a DW tom that sounded good. Kick and snares sound great, toms, not so much. I don't care WHO is playing them.

Side note: The only DW kit I heard that sounded OK was Frank Briggs' kit..let's ask him about his DW kit...oh wait he switched to Yamaha.
:|

I currently play the DW jazz series in sizes 22x18, 10x7,12x8,14x14,16x16,14x5 snare, and have played them for the past 3 years. I use coated ambassadors batter and clear on resonant. I've tried out other heads, but that combo works best. Currently trying the coated amb x on tops...they're good, but I still like the regular ambs better. After getting them dialed in - meaning it's a bitch to tune these drums and keep them in tune - they sound great...not your typical box sound DWs are famous for - I had a Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute kit before and it's true, a baby can tune Yamaha's - so easy to tune in comparison - thinking about switching over to the PHX line - those toms are some of the best sounding toms I've ever heard. I love the Club Custom swirl finishes too - and the vintage vibe Yamaha is promoting with this series...may have to give those a listen too.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue May 10, 2011 4:59 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:
Yussuf wrote:Which study do you base this fact on? I'm curious.

Study? Like a clinical study? Bizarre...

How about the "study" of reality?
The FACT that the best players in the world, the monsters, are extremely articulate in interviews, clinics, videos, educational material, books and so forth at explaining exactly what they do, how they got where they are and why the play what they play.

If a musician can't explain what they are doing, it's a very obvious sign that they don't really understand it. Like people who learn to play guitar via tab, and can play a ton of stuff - but really have no idea what they are actually playing.
I think you need to change 'players' to 'teachers'. You seem to think that a musician has to be able to translate music into words in order for it to be understood or to have their playing legitimized. What about painters, do they have to tell you exactly why they paint something. Just let them paint.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun May 29, 2011 8:41 am

New interview >>>

scrowdrlrr

Postby scrowdrlrr » Mon May 30, 2011 11:50 am

How big are those hi-hats in the Mars Volta videos?! Surely at least 16, if not 18's? I kinda dig that crash sound he gets with the open hats.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon May 30, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm sort of in a hurry. Does anyone get shot?
drum6282

Postby drum6282 » Tue May 31, 2011 8:17 am

Did he say "fro-hawk"? that was pretty funny...
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:38 am

The Memorials - Natural Disaster >>>

The Memorials - I Remember You >>>

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:52 am

Full Set >>>

gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:03 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JtVC7xy ... re=feedlik

This is some of the best I've seen from him yet.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”