- Thanks to Ebbz for sharing “Sun Dogs” with Gary Novak Dave Carpenter, and Deron Johnson available right here. Be sure to check out the sample of the remake of “Tom Sawyer”. Discussion on the forums right here.
- Let’s not forget the Drummer Fantasy Camp is coming up August 15th. I wish this was going on when I was younger. Where else can you hang out with top names like Weckl, Erskine, Prieto, Igoe, and Smith for a week? Well worth checking out.
- More Novak and Carpenter on the latest Brandon Fields CD. Direct iTunes link right here yo. Thanks marklucas on the forums.
- Todd Sucherman was nice enough to post on the fourms and and let us know he played with Spinal Tap the other night. See that performance right here on the YouToob! Be sure to check out page 3 of the forum topic where Todd discusses the specifics of the rehearsals and the gig itself. Thanks for sharing Todd!
- NY Guitar God Wayne Krantz has a new CD out available here. Wayne actually does some singing on this one, with Keith Carlock backing him up throughout. Check out the CD sampler MP3 right here. We Love Wayne!!
July 30th, 2009 · No Comments
July 4th, 2009 · No Comments
According to this post by Billy Ward drumming pioneer Jim Chapin has passed away. Best known for his book “Advanced Techniques for the Modern Drummer” (available here on Dom Famularo’s site via Jim’s official site), this book was deemed impossible to play when it was fist published. It eventually went on to become the bible for jazz drummers for generations and is still widely used and recommended to this day. Jim’s book opened many doors for me taking lessons in New Jersey before moving to LA. Thank you for your immeasurable contribution to drumming Jim!
More discussion on Jim here on the HoD forums.
May 27th, 2009 · No Comments
HoD member Rob Haerr uncovered a YouTube gem of Buddy Rich on the Mike Douglas Show in 1967. It’s a formidable performance of Little Trane.
Here are some other good YT finds:
May 23rd, 2009 · No Comments
Get your HOD news fix here:
- Here’s over 8 minutes of Dave Weckl … being Dave Weckl with Mike Stern from the May 13 Boston show. Great bootleg footage, good angles.
- Mel Bay is finally releasing brilliant bopper Ari Hoenig’s book, “Intro To Polyrhythms.” A DVD will accompany the book with music performed by Hoenig, bassist Johannes Weidenmuller, and a trio performance including pianist Aaron Goldberg. The package is not just for drummers: The play-along material will offer exercises and songs for all three instruments in a traditional jazz trio.
- Finally, here are some nice shots from last week’s Chicago Drum Show. Check out the shot of the Color Wrap booth.
May 23rd, 2009 · 1 Comment
Checking out some of the metronome apps for the iPhone, I noticed Tempo, from Frozen Ape. It’s got some cool features, all of which of viewable here on their tutorial page. I’m looking forward to counting tunes off with the help my iPhone now. For 99 cents, you can’t beat it.
April 1st, 2009 · No Comments
This one discusses the seamless transition from 3/4 to 6/8 to 4/4, then back again. Fun stuff.
Discussion here on the forums.
February 17th, 2009 · No Comments
Drumming PR gangster Steve Orkin chimed in on the forums to let us know that Dave Weckl has added a video tour of (oh nothing) his home recording studio. Dave runs down his gear and shows him mixing an upcoming Mike Stern DVD. Check out the video right here on his web site (scroll down a bit). How cool is that? Thanks Steve and thanks Dave!
February 16th, 2009 · No Comments
The drumming community has lost one of its great pioneers in Louie Bellson. His musical reputation and contribution to drumming are surpassed only by the stories of how kind and generous he was over the years. Check out his extensive discography here. Hudson Music has a great bio and video compilation on this jazz giant here. Louie discussion on the forums right here.
Thank you Mr. Bellson.
February 8th, 2009 · No Comments
We know for sure the Benny Grebb DVD is coming, the trailer and making of clips have been very interesting. I particularly like this clip on youtube where he shows a cool Bavarian choir filming introduction segments. The DVD is due February 17th 2009. More info here on Hudson’s website.
There has been further talk around the camp fire about possible Ari Hoenig and Keith Carlock DVD’s. Should be interesting.
January 17th, 2009 · No Comments
|Jo Jo Mayer playing at NAMM 2009. More pics right here.|
Jo Jo Mayer and Nerve put on a great show at the Sabian Live event. The Drum Channel was streaming a live show from outside with an impressive production setup. Various name drummers would show up and get interviewed. Of course the now famous colon-pipe pictures are back, showing no emotion like never before here (Facebook account may be required), and here (this time with booth babes!)
Tons more pics here, as well as here at Drummerworld. Discussion on the forum here.